Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 08:55 pm
This is one of the best fiction books i have read. I really love the kind of swirling of ideas conrad portrays, the confusion, the basic understanding of humanity. he crams so much into such a short novel, an attack on british imperialism, man vs the jungle, himself, society, chaos, the edge. is this any one elses favoriet? Interested in your thoughts on this book. iam also really intersted in any other books to add to my reading list which are similar in content/wrighting, anything which gets you thinking.
Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 867 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 09:06 pm
If you enjoyed The Heart of Darkness, then i'd suggest plunging into Lord Jim. It is even more significant when you consider that Conrad was born in Poland, moved to Paris with his sister when he was about 11 years of age, and then finally began life as a seaman in the French merchant service, later switching to British ships. He was already a young adult when he began to learn English--i'd say he did remarkably well.

There is a very complex book, which might not be to your taste, but i'd say give it a try. It is Quincunx by Charles Palliser. It is novel of the nineteenth century (written about 1992 . . . i think), in the tradition of Dickens or Eliot, but it is far more. Having been written in the 20th century, it is much more candid than were 19th century novelists. It can make you think a great deal about society, and the relations of persons within it.

Also, for novels written about human relationships, try John Fowles--The Collector, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Daniel Martin--he often explores the relationship between men and women.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:04 pm
my favorites "The Dwarf" by Paar Lagerqvist
as well as "the Glass Bead Game" by Herman Hesse
and "the Tin Drum" by Gunter Grass
0 Replies