Social Pub

Montana

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:20 am
And a good morning to you SG. Coffee sounds good to me. Got the paper here for ya. I hope you don't mind Canadian news.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:27 am
Heya Montana! Another little trick when canning tomatoes - try using about 1/2 a teaspoon (in a quart jar) of cinnamon instead of lemon juice. It does the same thing but the taste is slightly different when you use them. Try it on a few jars just to see if it appeals to you.

Wot kinda tomatoes have you been growing?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:38 am
Hey there Fishin. Never heard of adding cinnamon, but it sounds good to me. I should probably cut that down to 1/4 teaspoon since I bottle in pint jars.

This year I grew scotia tomatoes and I got much more than I barganed for, LOL! I'll be bottling for the rest of the week.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:40 am
Montana wrote:
Yes. There are special seals that need to be used. You need to add a tablespoon of lemon juice to each bottle before you add the tomatoes to nutrilize the acid in the tomatoes, then put the special seal and boil the bottles for 35 minutes. The pressure makes the sealers pop which is when you know they're sealed. After they're sealed they're good for a year.

In fact, they last more than a year. I was raised by my grandparents, and we worked nearly full-time in the garden in season. We thereby produced all of the vegetables we ate in a year, and more to spare, and most of the fruit--the rest of the fruit we gathered where it grew wild, such as blackberries and blueberries. We also "picked up" walnuts and hickory nuts in a wood which had grown up in an ancient abandoned stone quarry.

When done properly, home canning preserves the food for quite a long time--i recall once in 1963 that my grandmother sent me into the basement to get a quart of green beans, and, as always, admonished me to find the oldest date. Looking around, i found that most of the oldest dates were 1961, except for one jar which had apparently been overlooked for some time, and was dated 1957. The beans were perfectly edible, and had the same "crunch" and flavor as would have any from 1961. We were real producers--although we gave away quite a bit of the production, we still managed to produce more than we would eat, so it was common that the date on the jar was from two years previously, we didn't start using the last year's production until spring and early summer before the new crop was harvested.

This also reminds me of a family i met once while hitchhiking. A guy in a pick-up stopped, and offered to take me about 20 miles. In the course of the ride, he said that as the sun was going down, he would be happy to offer me a sofa to sleep on, and a ride to the interstate in the morning. I took him up on his offer, and when we arrived at his house, his wife and three children were busy with the tomato harvest--30 bushels! They were canning tomatoes in the traditional method (blanch, peel and put in the jar whole), they were making tomato sauce (in the American meaning, such as one makes for use with pasta), and they were making catsup (what the English call tomato sauce). This was way more than they would have used themselves. I understood that one keeps canned goods for years as is necessary, but this was extraordinary. Through the course of the evening, though, i learned why they had produced so much. Elderly and poor people from the mountains in which they lived (central New Mexico, just west of Tucumcari) stopped by, and were given large carboard cartons of catsup, tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes (the whole, skinless ones). From casual conversation, i learned they did the same with corn, several kinds of beans, cabbage, carrots (which can be pickled) and pickled cucumbers. Many people would have looked at this "handy man" as poor and poorly paid, and the beat-up truck and the house he had built himself might have reinforced such a blind opinion. But he kept goats and milch cows and had accumulated quite a large herd of steers (about 20 to 30). The steers represented cash on the hoof, which he could sell at times when a large amount of cash were suddenly needed. Otherwise, he produced the milk, butter, cheese and meat his family consumed, and was a crucial resource to his small community.

He had great reefer, too, but you didn't hear that from me.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:44 am
hehehe. I used to have that problem with cucumbers. I'd end up with bushel baskets full of them. You can only eat so much cucumber salad and pickles in a year.

I tried growing Roma tomatoes one year but they seemed to be pretty fickle and I never ended up with much. My B-I-L grow bunches of them and was canning yesterday. I'll just steal some of his! Wink
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:56 am
What a great story Setanta. My grandmother and most of my aunts did the same thing with canning and when I was little I always saw myself doing the same thing. Way back then they did it to survive of course, but I do it because it's a healthier way to eat since I don't use any chemicals in my garden and there's nothing like having fresh preserved viggies. It also makes me feel closer to the old days when I loved watching my grandmother do her thing. I still have aunts who continue to garden and can and we get together throughout the spring and summer and talk garden talk. This is surely a great time in my life and I dred going back to work full time when my son is finished with school because it's going to take up most of the time I have now to garden and do all my crafts. Hitting the lottery would be great right about now. So much for wishful thinking.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:03 am
fishin' wrote:
hehehe. I used to have that problem with cucumbers. I'd end up with bushel baskets full of them. You can only eat so much cucumber salad and pickles in a year.

I tried growing Roma tomatoes one year but they seemed to be pretty fickle and I never ended up with much. My B-I-L grow bunches of them and was canning yesterday. I'll just steal some of his! Wink

I grew Roma tomatoes the last 2 years and I had problems with them as well, so I made a change this year which is why I am swamped with tomatoes. You're welcome to have some of mine. In fact take all you want ;-)

I was going to give a lot away because I figured they'ed only be good for a year bottled, but if they're good for a few years I'll bottle them all and just plant a few tomato plants next year.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:07 am
Be sure to write the canning date with indelible marker on the lid, Boss . . .
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:10 am
Already do, thanks ;-) I doubt they'll last 2 years anyway. I make lots of stuff that require the tomatoes and I always run out before my next harvest.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:12 am
Speaking of, I must run and go bottle some more. I sure will be glad when I'm done with them though ;-)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:12 am
Been to Mainz, hobitbob. Fulda is worse?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:17 am
I wish I had too many home grown tomatoes. Alas, I'll have a plate of heuvos rancheros and a bloody mary, please.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Social Pub
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:53:10