The Blues on PBS

Swimpy

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 06:21 pm
I just saw snippets of last night's show. (baseball, ya know) I saw the part with Ike and Sam. I was creeped out as well. And maybe I'm a prude but Bobby Rush's act could use some class.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:23 pm
Just saw the Muddy Waters episode. Very enlightening and good to see.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 09:05 pm
I didn't see much of tonight's episode. (I'm a West Wing fan.) It seemed to have a plot. Does anyone know who directed this one? (Or maybe I should check out some of the links y'all have posted.)
0 Replies

zrock

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 10:13 pm
Tonight's episode, "Warming by the Devil's Fire," was directed by Charles Burnett
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:19 pm
Mac, This every night thing is harder than I thought. Especially with the baseball playoffs. I hope to catch tonight's episode.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:55 am
I missed last night's completely. How was it? Did anybody watch?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:08 am
I liked it. The style was traditional doc filmaking. It was about Chess records, Chicago Blues and the link and similarities between the blues and hip hop. Passing of the torch.

Tomorrow is going to be about the blues crossing over to the ocean to the guys in '60's England.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:15 am
I'll be watching tonight.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:27 am
I'm really looking forward to Saturday's show. I hope they have some archival films of those British bands--that period is when I got into the blues, without even knowing it. Clueless youth that I was, I had no idea that Cream and Led Zeppelin were just taking old blues songs and revving them up. It took my listening to some actual blues records to get it--years later...
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:28 am
Is that Saturday or Tonight?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 11:33 am
Saturday, I believe. Swimpy was kind enough to provide a link to the show's web site (see the first post in this thread) and it has all the relevant info...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 01:14 pm
Oops: I was wrong! The episode on the blues in the UK was Friday night. Dang. I missed most of it, but caught the last half hour: It looked wonderful.

Well, sorry about the mistake. As Hound Dog Taylor would say, it hurts me, too.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:05 pm
Yea, it was on last night. I watched it during breaks in the ball game. Those Cubs have your Braves on the ropes, D'Artagnan.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 04:35 pm
Last night was interesting. They were making the claim that British rock musicians in the 60s saved blues artists from obscurity. I was doubting the truth of that, until BB King said it straight out! Thanking the Brits for saving his career.

There was more of Tom Jones than I needed, otherwise a great show.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 05:01 pm
it was nice to see the recognition given to John Mayal for his lifetime devotion to bringing the blues back to popularity.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 12:48 pm
The final installment was very good. Clint Eastwood one-on-one with several great jazz and blues pianists.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 04:43 pm
I enjoyed that one too. I Hope they show this series again because I missed so much of it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 04:52 pm
On the ropes, but not out, Swimpy, thanks to Chipper Jones. Game 5 begins in an hour.

I just hope I pay enough attention to see the Brit Blues segment when it's repeated. I do think that B.B. King (and several of the Brits) were right in saying that groups like Cream paved the way for American bluesmen to finally get the respect they deserved from the U.S. audience. Having been part of the audience for Cream and Led Zeppelin, I eventually realized where they got their music from--and listened to the originals...
0 Replies