What kind of guitar is best for starters?

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:53 pm
I heard that electric guitars are easier to play, so they are good for beginners, but I also heard that everybody should start on an acoustic guitar so you could easily switch to electric guitars after. I also heard of classical guitars, but I don't even know what the difference is between an acoustic or a classical.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,375 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:04 pm
@DaSchmarotzer,
My experience is that electric guitars are easier to learn on because the neck is smaller, making it easier to strum and easier to grip. (On the other hand, your fingers have less room between the frets.) It is generally easier to get sound out of an electric guitar, partly because of the amplifier and partly because the metal strings require less consistent force than, say, the nylon strings of a classical guitar. It's primarily the strings that differentiate a classical guitar from an acoustic: nylon vs. metal. The nylon tends to be a little more forgiving on the fingertips of your left hand (expect to develop a few calluses), but the strings are farther apart and the neck is wider, making it more difficult to grip. It's also more difficult to access the higher frets because you have to learn how to maneuver around the body of the instrument.
Mame

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:05 pm
@DaSchmarotzer,
My bf has 40 guitars and teaches it to kids sometimes. He says in terms of playability, an electric is easier because the strings are closer to the fretboard. You don't have to press down so hard.

It's better to start with an acoustic because you can play it anywhere because you don't have to plug in the amp.

But to learn learn, it doesn't really matter, except you can't hear an electric without it being plugged in.

Also, the costs are more expensive for electric. A decent acoustic would be about $400.

He plays acoustic only, by the way. It's sort of like learning to drive a manual car then driving an automatic, or learning to dive in cold water then diving in warm.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:06 pm
Hi,

I would recommend a low cost acoustic, preferably used, to become your first guitar.

May I say that how easy a guitar is to play is not the goal. Your friends are not light guitar strings, and low action. A guitar "voice" can only project itself by being played with some determination.

Most importantly, nothing is ever learned until it can be played cleanly.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:06 pm
@Shapeless,
Yeah but nylon sounds so weird after listening to metal!
Shapeless

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:09 pm
@Mame,
True. I guess it depends on what repertory one is going to be playing. I remember being utterly baffled by nylon strings when I started classical guitar--I just couldn't adjust to the different amounts of force required between metal strings and nylon strings. On the other hand, I prefer plucking to picking.

Which reminds me, DaSchmarotzer: on a metal-stringed guitar it's very easy to get into the bad habit of "anchoring" your right hand by resting your ring finger against the body of the instrument while you pluck the strings. It's best to avoid the habit from the start.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 06:56 pm
acoustic electric. I suggest a mid price takamine, washburn or ovation. DO NOT go too cheap or you will not get ease of playing and you will become discouraged. After purchase drop the extra 30.00 and have a pro set the action as low as possible without fret buzz. Start with a 10 gauge string if you are concerned with sore fingers, but I would recommend 11's. Learn the basics on acoustic. Switch to electric after learning the basics. they are 2 entirely different animals.
0 Replies

candide

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:42 pm
acoustic guitars are good bacause all you need to buy is the guitar and not the amps, chords, etc,etc.

You can take your acoustic anywhere and play it without bothering people or hauling **** around.

You will get a better quality acoustic then an electric for the money and you don't have to buy cables or amps.

You can buy an acoustic pickup and an amp later whitch really sounds cool.

A Yammaha is a good beginning guitar.
0 Replies

Ahsanahmed Abid

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 10:16 am
@DaSchmarotzer,
I think that acouistic guitar is the best for the beginner.....I'm saying it from my experience..But what about other people, I don't know..
0 Replies