Is Christopher Moore Any Good?

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 05:48 am
I Just got a review of his book, Fool, via my Powell's reviews.

Sounds interesting.

I loved Stoppard's play, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead"....and I love literarl allusions.

Here's what the Washington Post had to say....

Quote:
But to turn the darkly depressing "King Lear" into a comedy requires more than ordinary chutzpah. Yet who better to give it a try than Christopher Moore, author of the famously outrageous and funny Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal? As Moore's prefatorial "Warning" to Fool explicitly states, the result is "a bawdy tale." Very bawdy. We're talking country matters here, the beast with two backs, coxcombs and poxes, scullions and cullions, all the most intimate body fluids and exudations. In truth, Fool is exuberantly, tirelessly, brazenly profane, vulgar, crude, sexist, blasphemous and obscene. Compared to Moore's novel, even Mel Brooks's hilariously tasteless film "Blazing Saddles" appears a model of stately 18th-century decorousness. To quote carelessly from Fool would strain the forbearance of this family newspaper. Suffice it to say that variants of the f-word and its English cousins -- the marginally more acceptable, because less familiar "shag" and "bonk" -- appear on every page, not only as intensifiers and expletives but also as apt descriptions for what is happening right before our eyes on the tapestried divan with Princess Goneril or behind the arras with her sister Regan. Virtually every woman in this novel -- from the cook and the laundress to a holy anchoress and three witches -- demonstrates what Moore calls, in one of his rare euphemisms, "a generous spirit in the dark." Our narrator and hero is Pocket, King Lear's jester or fool. Originally a foundling reared by nuns and once a traveling mummer (actor/acrobat/clown), he is a young man of multiple talents: Pocket can forge letters, throw knives with deadly accuracy, caper with equal ease among the high and the low and, most of important all, make the melancholy Cordelia laugh.

Sounds good.

But:

Quote:
If you like Benny Hill's leering music-hall routines or Terry Pratchett's satirical Discworld novels, or George MacDonald Fraser's rumbustious Flashman adventures.......you're almost certain to enjoy Christopher Moore's latest romp

But I DON'T like Benny Hill or Flashman.

Any partakers able to comment?

This fella has some interesting titles to his name:

The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror

Island of the Sequined Love Nun

Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,446 • Replies: 16
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:16 am
I have read 3 Christopher Moore books (Lamb, Bloodsucking Fiends, & You Suck), and they were all very funny books. They are quick reads (taking me no more than a day or two) and you have to have a sense of humor to read them otherwise you may be offended.

I've bought Fool, but there are like 10 other books in front of it in my queue, so I won't get to it for a while.

I'm unfamiliar with the other two authors, but Moore is extremely funny IMO.
dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:21 am
@maporsche,
No way I can get Fool closer to the top of the queue?
maporsche

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:23 am
@dlowan,
Let me see what I can do. Very Happy
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:25 am
@dlowan,
If you want to try him out, I'd suggest buying Lamb, that book was fantastically funny. I don't often laugh out loud when reading books, but with that one it was impossible not too, probably the funniest book I've ever read. I've read it twice since then all with the same result.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:32 am
"Lamb" is truly hilarious. Read that one.

Next best, I think, was "A Dirty Job"

Followed by "Bloodsucking Fiends" and it's companion "You Suck".

I liked most of his books that I've read but "Fluke" was awful (maybe that was the fluke?) and "The Stupidest Angel" didn't do much for me.

He writes in a really offhand sort of way that reminds me a bit of Chuck Paulaniuk.
maporsche

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:36 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

He writes in a really offhand sort of way that reminds me a bit of Chuck Paulaniuk.

I agree. Actually, a friend of mine referred me to Moore when I complained that I was finished with all of Paulaniuk's books; similar styles, however Paulaniuk's work is much more serious.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:48 am
Lamb, eh?

Chuck Paliniuk?

Grumbles off to look him up....
dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:53 am
@dlowan,
Hmmm...don't think Chuck's for me.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:53 am
@dlowan,
dlowan, Chuck Palahniuk is by far my favorite author. He is the author of the book Fight Club which became a semi-popular (at least among my generation) movie by the same name.

I haven't been disappointed with any book he's ever written, but they are pretty harsh criticisms of the world around us.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:10 am
I like Paulaniuk's early stuff better than the books from the last few years where he got a little too gorey and perverse for my tastes ("Haunted" for example).

"Lullabye" and "Choke" were my favorites.

I think both Moore and Paulanuik owe a great deal to Vonnegut.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:24 am
@dlowan,
My dad loves Moore and gave me a couple of books as a present once. (I think "Bloodsucking Fiends" and "You Suck.") I read them and didn't hate them but didn't like them much either. I'm trying to remember what I didn't like though. A certain pretentiousness maybe -- the Literary thing seemed a bit pasted on, a bit "see I'm not TOTAL fluff!"

As fluff, they were entertaining enough.
dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 08:29 am
@sozobe,
Fluff.

Hmmm....

GOOD fluff?
sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 08:30 am
@dlowan,
I didn't have the urge to read any more Moore books after I read those two.

I didn't throw them out or anything either though.
dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 08:37 am
@sozobe,
Medium fluff?
sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 08:46 am
@dlowan,
Yeah...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 09:23 am
For me to get 10 minutes to read uninterruped is a miracle so I find books like this really hit the spot as I don't have much time for subtle. Plus, things are gloomy enough, I don't want to immerse myself in the sadness that counts as "literature" these days. I don't really like mystery, romance or crime novels so these hit the right balance for me.

Also, I've found a lot of food for thought in some of these books. The soul vessels in "A Dirty Job" were interesting. I remeber talking to Noddy about the idea of loved objects acquiring parts of ourselves.

I like funny books. Moore's books are funny.
0 Replies