Religion Makes Complete Sense

Chumly

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 11:18 pm
Because nothing else can explain events.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,332 • Replies: 50
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 02:10 am
@Chumly,
You need to flesh this out a little.

IMO "events" are evoked by "observers" who define an event window and other parameters. Unless you define a "god" as an "ultimate observer" (like Berkeley)there are no "events" in themselves.
roger

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 02:12 am
@Chumly,
I'll concede that one religion makes about as much sense as any other. Some are not as distasteful as others, of course.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 02:17 am
Religions explain nothing.

They try to relieve pain from humankind sorrow lives, hardly succeeding..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 05:22 am
Others have tried to explain this "sense" but none has yet convinced me of anything.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 05:24 am
@Chumly,
Religions are utter nonsense. They don't explain anything satisfactorily to me. They are control methods.
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 06:30 am
@Chumly,
Then again, I could make up anything that I want to "explain events", and it would be just as credible as what religion postulates. For Pete's sake, Ron Hubbard did just that, and his company is reaping a fortune.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:24 am
Why the need to explain events?

Sure, I enjoy knowing that A led to B, but there comes a point where I'm quite satisfied in saying "**** if I know"
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:41 am
I am just kidding around, but it is a common rationale, after all I doubt you'll find a religionist claiming their religion does not provide explanations for events.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:45 am
@Chumly,
you've obviously never played clue
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:58 pm
Funny man!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 03:40 pm
@fresco,
Fresco:
"events" are evoked by "observers" who define an event window and other parameters. Unless you define a "god" as an "ultimate observer" (like Berkeley)there are no "events" in themselves.
Exactly! social scientists always have the task--the problem of define the boundaries of an "event" or situation, (i.e., distinguishing what is inside and what is outside the "event"--where is its beginning and its ending, as well as who are its participants--its social content).
To put it another way, events are constructual extractions from an originally indeterminant flow of phenomena. As such, they are as much theoretical as they are empirical.
vikorr

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 06:52 pm
@JLNobody,
Well, I was going to say :
Quote:
Quote:
IMO "events" are evoked by "observers" who define an event window and other parameters. Unless you define a "god" as an "ultimate observer" (like Berkeley)there are no "events" in themselves.

Fresco, don’t you just mean that ‘things that happen don’t have a meaning without an observer’, and that ‘an event suggests an occurrence has meaning’

But that's pretty much what you said.
fresco

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 01:46 am
@vikorr,
To clarify,
It's a not a question of assignimg "meaning" to "happenings". There are no happenings except in relationship to an observer. Observers and "the world" are co-extensive.
vikorr

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 04:24 am
@fresco,
Call it what you like, occurrences, happenings, motion, 'stuff'...stuff moves.

If you like, you can assign meaning to the motion of stuff and define that as 'happenings'.

The way I was looking at it, motion is an occurrence, whether or not I know about it, and whether or not it has any meaning to me.

What btw, do you mean by co-extensive?
fresco

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:35 am
@vikorr,
There is no "stuff"...no "objective reality"... independent of an observer. The "boundary" between observer and world is itself subject to observation for its existence. Hence the term "co-extensive"....like no "up" without "down" ...no "thing" without "thinger". Existence is relationship.
vikorr

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 08:13 pm
@fresco,
To clarify, are you saying, that if sentience (of any sort, down to an amoeba) didn't exist, then water wouldn't flow, wind wouldn't move etc?

...Are you saying that a leaf falling from a tree on another planet (say in another galaxy), that can't possible affect us here, has a relationship to us here...and therefore isn't objective?
fresco

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 09:24 pm
@vikorr,
You don't get it. Who defines "water flowing" etc other than "an observer" in relationship to its particular physiological apparatus.
When you ask that pseudo-question you are observing the "water" in your own head. Next you attempt to remove that sentience from "the scenario" but it is impossible ...the whole scenario collapses ! The error of the persistence of a scenario "without an observer" is essence of naive realism. You need to extrapolate from "different scenarios (=different realities) for different physiologies" to understand this.
vikorr

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 09:29 pm
@fresco,
Hello Fresco, I do get it...I object to you denial of motion / interaction

Motion exists without sentience to observe it. That is a fact you seem to want to deny.

Everything we comprehend, we attach associations to (from your example, the 'definition' of water flowing, is the association)...that makes everything we observe subjective...over and above the objective motion / interaction.

That we comprehend in a subjective manner, doesn't mean there isn't an underlying 'occurrence' that is simply following the laws of nature.

Quote:
When you ask that pseudo-question you are observing the "water" in your own head.
Agreed

Quote:
Next you attempt to remove that sentience from "the scenario" but it is impossible ...the whole scenario collapses !
See above.

fresco

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:30 am
@vikorr,
Motion of what relative to what ?

This could be a pseudo-problem...that of attempting to find a first axiom extrinsic to the system we want to call “existence”. Berkeley “solved it” by evoking a “God”. Newtonian physics had “space” as a fixed frame only to be overthrown by Einstein.

It may simply be the case that we cannot talk about “existence" without "observers”.