http://www.rense.com/general41/dehb.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 845 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 01:30 pm
kev- Interesting article, made even more fascinating that the author quoted a black professor. I wonder if there has been any subsequent research on the subject?
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 01:54 pm
As you rightly point out phoenix the interesting part is that a black professor authenticates it.

I'm still having problems with this though, Scotland have given the world a lot more than most people realise, but I'm really not sure about this. Confused
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 01:58 pm
I saw this article too, in a couple of heavyweight newpapers here.
It is astonishing, but persuasive.
If you heard the church singing in gaelic services referred to (I think they still have it today, with a presenter and response from the congregation) it sounds very odd to the untrained ear (and to the trained one as well, I bet) and anything more unlike a good gospel choir is difficult to imagine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 02:27 pm
They're talking about the 'call and response' type of service, McTag, not gospel choir, though quite a bit of gospel is based on 'call and response'. This is not terribly new - there was some study done in this area at Chapel Hill, N.C. at least 25 years ago. Many churches in the Appalachians still use 'call and response' as well. This whole segment of ethnomusicology is fascinating.

I had a final exam about 25 years ago where we had to dissect variations of John Barleycorn as it travelled around the world - take them apart, and then put them back together geographically and chronologically.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 02:52 pm
Thank 'ee kindly, ehBeth. I mixed it up a bit.
I like gospel music, specially. It's very stirring. It's quite popular on the radio over here...I've never been actually to a Pentecostal service here, which is where I think it happens, but you can hear it on the radio and sometimes on TV too.
A bit too showbiz for most British tastes, but I also like the pop spinoffs like the early Aretha Franklin.

Sorry Kev, off-topic. "Call and response", done with voices alone, no piano or organ, is a very strange sound.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 03:46 pm
McTag - you're perfectly on-topic. The connection the article was making was with the call and response found in Scotland, the Appalachians, and early slave music - some of which sort of mutated into gospel.

If you really want to hear 'strange' music, go to a service where shape-note singing is practiced.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 07:43 pm
Ok, I'll ask. Shaped note?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:01 pm
Quote:
Much of the procedure and terminology the shape-note tradition derives from the "singing school," an 18th-century institution that remains, in modified form, the primary mode of Sacred Harp instruction today. The typical Sunday "class" commences with a straightforward selection such as "Ninety-Fifth," its bright tune and easy cadence bringing the voices out of rest and into alignment. Tentative at first, perhaps, they swell directly--full-throated and without vibrato--to fill the room. An opening prayer precedes the election of new officers. In the course of the day, the "arranging committee" will call each willing participant to lead a "lesson" of one or two songs. Children, novices, and elder members of the group receive the warmest indulgence. Some leaders make their song selections as the spirit moves them, while others return week after week to their personal "sugar sticks." Nearly a hundred of the more than five hundred songs in the book will be sung before the day is over.

The first time through on each tune, it is customary to "sing the notes," calling their shapes by the ancient syllables fa, sol, la, and mi. Originally used as a learning device, this solmization produces a kind of pure vocal music, unshackled by poetry and theology. Though most Sacred Harp singers know these tunes by heart, they treasure the fa-sol-la's as part of their identity.

Hearing people sing a song - recognizing the tune - but what? they're singing the notes - is weird the first time. I learned about this at university, and we had to try it out, but I didn't hear/see real shape-note singers until a feature on 60 minutes about a decade later.

This site http://fasola.org/ is fantastic. Right in the intro, you get a hint of the travels of this type of singing. If you're at all interested, poke around in the site. There's a neat little audio clip http://fasola.org/sound_example.html on the home page. Check it out.

Dang. This subject really excites me.
0 Replies