Online Law Degree

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 04:21 am
Is it possible to attain a law degree by studying only online? And if so which states will allow the student to sit for the bar after getting the degree in this manner? Can an individual once admitted to the bar in a state which does allow for an online education then petition other states?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,961 • Replies: 3
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:09 am
@tymothyj,
tymothyj wrote:

Is it possible to attain a law degree by studying only online?

It may be possible in a few states. Most states, however, require bar applicants to graduate from ABA-accredited law schools.

tymothyj wrote:
And if so which states will allow the student to sit for the bar after getting the degree in this manner?

I don't know. Maybe California and/or a few other western states. They tend to have the most relaxed standards for admission to the bar.

tymothyj wrote:
Can an individual once admitted to the bar in a state which does allow for an online education then petition other states?

Every state has its own admission requirements. California, for instance, is a non-reciprocal state. Here's a handy chart.
0 Replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 12:41 pm
Good luck with that. I think a degree in law is something you would want to take in person, just like nursing. Would you really want a nurse helping you that got an online degreee? I know I wouldn't. The hands on experience is a major part of it. If you do check into the online thing though make sure it is an accredited school.
0 Replies

jriffs

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 07:17 pm
As a current law student, I would have to highly recommend doing in person law school, regardless of what options are out there. It is the type of thing you have to learn through the back-and-forth human interaction, and often learned with the help your fellow students' contributions in class.

It's not just about learning to argue your points, but you will need clarification on nuances of the law that require an in-person discussion to fully flesh out. Case law, which is the backbone of our system and the studies, is notoriously convoluted. You might as well keep your options open (as far where you can practice) and do an ABA approved program, and learn the material really well. It's worth it.
0 Replies