Baptists finally coming around?

chai2

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 04:36 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

What does it matter? I know that Conservative Christians especially have made a bad name for themselves in their staunch stand for Creationism. But Evolutionist feel the same way. Apparently live and let live is hard for everybody! Or am I wrong? I am willing to listen to why it matters.

Just my nattering....

Like I said before, my experience with people really committed to creationism came later in my adulthood. That's not to say I never met people who did believe in creationism.

At that time, if someone expressed that's what they believed, my reaction, or the reaction of anyone who felt differently was "Oh, really?" and not much beyond that. It was kinda like I believe this and you believe that and would you like another cup of coffee?

When I moved to that backwater place I mentioned, that's when I started noticing the difference. Ok, I'm going to be honest here, this place was really on one side of the bell curve as far as general education, interest in the the world expect where it immediately effected them, etc. Education just wasn't all that important. Motherhood at 17 was perfectly normal. The favored term for african americans was still "colored people"

Jesus was a big subject of discussion, and there was hardly a topic that couldn't be improved by relating to Jesus in it, even if what you were discussing had no relation to religion or God at all. It was the first time in my life that it wasn't a really rare occassion that my belief system was asked about, and hearty disapproval that I did not think a certain way, or participate in activities I had no interest in.

Coming to Texas was an improvement. People where I live are educated, more open with the live and let live businesses, but there are in certain groups topics that just can't be brought up without witnessing this shutting down on the other persons part.

When the occasion comes up that someone says they believe in creationism, my reply is a little different from years ago. I still say "Really?", but I don't add "I don't believe that" However, when I've voiced a preferance for evolution, I have had the bible brought up to me, and that's not what it says there, etc. I think the most bothersome thing that was ever said to me about that was "The bible says it, I believe it, that's all there is to it."

I just found that incredibly closed minded. I didn't even tell that person about my unicycle theory.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 04:39 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

Most people who really listen in Church should know that believing in creationism is not a requirement to get into heaven. I am not sure your theory will come to fruition Merry Andrew.

Not being sarcastic mismi, but you could've fooled me.

I have bluntly been told people who did not beleive that would go to hell. Of course I can't say that represents most people or not, but when you're sitting in a room with someone like that, knowing their friends and family feel that way too, it sure feels like it.
mismi

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 04:46 pm
@chai2,
Well honestly Chai - I can't speak for all Christians...but where I have been going they would definitely say that is not a key reason for acceptance into heaven. They would say you were wrong to believe otherwise - but they would not say that is required.

So, maybe Merry Andrew's theory will work...I live in my own small world sometimes - I have a tendency to generalize. sorry. Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 07:59 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
For me that's the crux of the problem with more than a few religions. The idea that you are not allowed to think about something, until someone (who has no more of a valid opinion than you do) gives you permission.

Yes. That's a key problem.
0 Replies