book

sunnyme

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 03:29 am
can anyone suggest a good novel to read? preferably fiction stories. i need a new one to go crazy over. =D
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,778 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 08:23 am
Well, what gender are you, how old are you and what interests you? If you're a girl aged 14 - 18 I'd suggest the Twilight books. A boy about the same age, Harry Potter. A man who likes adventure tales, stuff by John Grisham, or maybe Scott Turow if you like a legal bent. Sue Grafton if you like mysteries with a female protagonist. Jane Austen if you want older classic stuff. Etc. etc. etc. So -- what's your specific pleasure?
Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 08:28 am
@sunnyme,
What books have you gone "crazy" over?
0 Replies

sunnyme

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:44 pm
@jespah,
i'm 19, female. i already finished the twilight books and the harry potter serires =D. i dont have any specific categories in reading books. i just basically want to read a good story whether its a thriller, action, fantasy, romance. but i don't like the classics. i know they're good stories but i get really bored with them. thanks for the suggestions =D.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 10:36 pm
@sunnyme,
I read everything, here are some suggestions:
Philippa Gregory - The Other Boleyn Girl, The Queen's Fool- (Tudor Historical)
Diana Gabaldon- Outlander- (Historical Romance)
Anne Rice - Interview With the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat- (More Vamps and the only two books by Rice I consider worthwhile)
Ken Grimwood - Replay- (Sci-fi and time travel)
Pamela Clare- Ride The Fire - (Historical Romance. 1st of a series)
Alice Sebold - The Lovely Bones (Drama/Murder story)
Kelly Armstrong - Bitten - (Werewolves in love. Really. It works.)
Ann Rule- The Stranger Beside Me - the true story of serial murder Ted Bundy (every woman should read this. It will make you think twice before going home with that cute guy you meet at the club)

You can check out the reviews on Amazon and see if anything appeals to you.

aidan

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:32 am
@sunnyme,
East of Eden by John Steinbeck might be a good start. Steinbeck's writing style is very accessible and I think that's one of his more riveting novels thematically and in terms of plot.
The characters - especially the mother - are really interesting and events sort of twist and turn- it kept my interest all the way through when I read it.
I think I was about fifteen when I read it - so not that much younger than you are now.
0 Replies

sunnyme

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 02:47 am
@Green Witch,
hey thanks. i'll definitely look these up. i just read this historical romance book "yours until dawn" by teresa medeiros and it was really funny. its was just a light read and gave me something to laugh about. haha

PS. boleyn movie any good?
Green Witch

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 10:00 am
@sunnyme,
Quote:
PS. boleyn movie any good?

Sadly, no. Read the book first and then if you want to see the movie for the costumes and handsome faces - go for it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 10:07 am
@sunnyme,
By the way, if liked Medeiros - try Julie Garwood (historicals, not her contemporary murder mysteries). Funny and light, nice when you want to relax and make the world go away.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 10:18 am
@sunnyme,
Phillip Pullman's, "His Dark Materials" trilogy is quite good
UK Editions
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/04/Hisdarkm.jpg

NA Editions
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f6/HisDarkMaterialsUS.jpg/800px-HisDarkMaterialsUS.jpg

China Mieville's book Un Lun Dun is another good read
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/UnUnDun%281stEd%29.jpg

both writers books have female heroes

0 Replies