Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 03:50 am
@sakhi,
and Time Machine...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 10:03 am
@sakhi,
Hi sakhi!

Mo loved "The Red Badge of Courage" so I tried some other classics which he just didn't get into. I'm still working on ways to rotate them into his reading.

We just finished the series "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" which he loved so now we're working our way through the "Horrid Henry" stories. I think he likes these stories because the characters get in more trouble than he does!
DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 10:19 am
Did you ever try Johnny Tremaine?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 12:33 pm
I haven't found a copy of it yet, at least not an abridged version which I think is going to be a must in order to get Mo interested.

Right now he's back into his shark-love in a big way. We have dozens of books about sharks so I'm just riding the wave.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 01:15 pm
Our local used book stores all have a shelf dedicated to Reader's Digest condensed books. Usually three or four works per book.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 11:04 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I think he likes these stories because the characters get in more trouble than he does!

Very Happy
0 Replies

dazzer64

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 02:23 am
@boomerang,
Don't be afraid of introducing things he likes as a supplement to what he has to learn in school. But emphasize he has to find a way to like what he is reading, somehow, someway. It is not an option to opt out of doing the work. How about trying to understand his learning style? Maybe you can redo the lesson to suit how he thinks, feels. Does he like movement, action, as opposed to visual, listening? Take advantage of that by suggesting he make a "play" or express the meanings in, I don't know, karate movements! Sounds weird, but makes sense. Does he like drawing? How about drawing the plot or story in comic book frames? Talk to his teacher about why he finds everything so "boring" . Can he/she suggest alternatives? Maybe the material can be modified by the teacher to suit the boy. Maybe others in the class feel the same way, but are not struggling to the same degree. It can be painful for readers uncomfortable with reading to read out loud too. I am not a reading expert, but suggest that enthusiasm and motivation are key as other posters have commented. Help the boy to understand the point of view of "other" ways of thinking. Why would adults have students learn this stuff? If he starts to understand that (maybe at a later time when he is not so emotionally negative) he can start to enter the adult world, which is the point of school anyway. And what about his way of learning - does he like group learning/individual study, is he right brained/left brained, does he get overloaded with information easily, have trouble picking out meaning, understanding meaning by listening? THERE is lots of work to be done. Good luck!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 01:09 pm
This is a cool blog post (a friend of mine with boisterous twin boys posted it on Facebook), it made me think of you and Mo. I started to just post the part about the thinking putty (it looks way cool) but there were enough other things I wanted to include that I decided to post the whole thing:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/2009/11/sword-play-burping-and-a-number-two-pencil/
Green Witch

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 01:24 pm
@sozobe,
There's some very sage advice in that blog.
0 Replies

Fatima10

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 12:53 pm
@sozobe,
So illuminating..turning the light bulb on for me. Reassuring to know that body functions are universally hysterical for pre-pubescent boys...not just the one I in my life.

Also, how his story writing happens to incorporate *The Game* that is newest on his radar and X-Box, is not so unusual?

I will not be concerned unless this behavior continues past middle school.

Thank you for sharing this, Sozobe!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 01:04 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
VOTE NOW
Where do you stand (or sit?) when it comes to homeschooling?
Do You Homeschool Your Kids?

Yes, and I love it. (27%, 8,824 Votes)
No WAY. (19%, 6,282 Votes)
I like coffee ice cream. (18%, 5,800 Votes)

My vote on this intriguing poll question on that site. Cool
sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 01:21 pm
One more thing since this isn't in the main blog post, I am reading through the comments and this caught my eye:

Quote:
great post! It all jives with my experience as an elementary school teacher and mom of 2 boys. Recently they’ve gotten into Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and while I’m not crazy about them, the author has also put out a Do-It-Yourself book that encourages readers to fill in comics with their own words and write their own stories.

Looked it up, here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Wimpy-Kid-Yourself-Book/dp/0810979772

I'm gettin' it for sozlet, looks fun...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 01:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
coffee ice cream gets my vote
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 01:27 pm
@sozobe,
That a great blog, soz, thanks for the link.

I did find a fiction book that he likes: Pigeon Wants a Puppy. We bought it for a birthday gift for his cousin who is about to turn 4. He thinks it's the most hilarous book ever.
sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 01:29 pm
@boomerang,
We love Pigeon!
0 Replies