Archimedes created calculus

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:27 am
Or at least he had discovered the principles of it.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/8974/title/A_Prayer_for_Archimedes

Quote:
An intensive research effort over the last nine years has led to the decoding of much of the almost-obliterated Greek text. The results were more revolutionary than anyone had expected. The researchers have discovered that Archimedes was working out principles that, centuries later, would form the heart of calculus and that he had a more sophisticated understanding of the concept of infinity than anyone had realized.

And because an ancient monk wanted to write his prayers, the work of Archimedes was almost lost forever.

Quote:
Archimedes wrote The Method almost two thousand years before Isaac Newton and Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz developed calculus in the 1700s. Reviel Netz, an historian of mathematics at Stanford University who transcribed the text, says that the examination of Archimedes' work has revealed "a new twist on the entire trajectory of Western mathematics."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,264 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:09 am
@mysteryman,
Looking at a problem similar to one you would solve with integral calculus is a far, far cry from discovering calculus. Newton didn't just think about it vaguely, he derived and justified differential calculus (which he called fluxions) and integral calculus in detail.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:20 am
@mysteryman,
I remember to have seen the report from Stanford university - there was a live video back in 2006 (I think).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 10:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I remember to have seen the report from Stanford university - there was a live video back in 2006 (I think).

Correct: http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2006/august9/arch-080906.html
0 Replies