Firenze, Italy

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:07 pm
@Izzie,
As museums go, this one attracts me, haven't heard of it before -

http://www.museostibbert.it/

It sort of reminds me of a small one I went to, thinking, what was it, it featured sort of inlaid tiles that were, uh, pictures. Small place, sort of a ten minute visit.

Shoes, bring good walking shoes. But you know that.

We haven't talked about the alt'arno yet..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:16 pm
@Francis,
Francis, Il Traditore, I'm the loud one, you're the expert.

What would you be checking out if you were Dag?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh... art in situ.. I appreciated seeing the Fra Angelicos and the cells at the Monastery of San Marco, about a block from the pza SS Annunziata - as is the Accademmia. I admit to never checking the Accademmia out, thus never seeing the real David. Woe is me, I have to go back.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:30 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

(will osso ever shut up?)
(no)

ha, please don't.... i'm an internet person myself....i tend to just stroll online (much like in real life)...print this, print that....carry that with me. I also shrink things when I print! Two pages per one side of paper, double sided... so this thread will go with me. i like to select some spots to see beforehand and then look forward to seeing them..... but not in an organized way. organically. piano piano.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:32 pm
@dagmaraka,
Me too, read first and then, loose.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:33 pm
One extra day, only?

Galleria degli Uffizi is a must, but there are often extra-long queues. And I don't know if the place is too crowded now.

Now... there's Palazzo Pitti, and its gardens (Giardino dei Bobboli, if I recall right). That's an amazing visit to the luxorious lifestyle -and ideology!- of the Medicis. I'd reccommend Palazzo Pitti over the Uffizi for a person interested in history, sociology and ideology more than art.

Finally, as a Dante lover, I have to tell you to visit Dante's house. Stroll by the Lungoarno, go to the corner where Dante met Beatrice and imagine the moment.

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:38 pm
@fbaezer,
yes to Dante, yes to Medicis! I happen to be be Machiavelli's fan... he is popularly misunderstood as immoral...eh, don't belong here. WANT to see Medici house for sure.
kickycan

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:47 pm
@fbaezer,
I seem to remember that there is a number you can call to reserve a time or something for the Galleria degli Uffizi, which would eliminate the worry about being in line for hours. I can't remember if I'm right about this though. I'll have to look at my guidebook and get back to you. Or maybe you can find a number online somewhere and check.

I rented a bike and rode around Florence when I was there. It was awesome, though I don't know whether you'd be into that, Dag. Anyway, enjoy!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:52 pm
@fbaezer,
I didn't know about Dante's house.
Damn.
Vasari's in Arezzo doesn't count, does it?

Well, the thing is, Firenze is rich, layers and layers to explore, many books written.
I saw it for the first time with a husband being a bambino with a cold. More reason for zuppa, though I think italians go for white food when you are sick - or used to.

Instead of zuppa (not that he asked for that) we were sent a good spumante (this may not be an oxymoron) by pals, and treated to a dinner at a cave like place on the road to Fiesole. I remember a lot of meat..

Well, that is the cruxt - I'd be walking and going back another time to do the Uffizi. Fb would do the Uffizi first above all.
Hard to argue with him.
What I wouldn't do - is the Uffizi fast.
Unless, godhelpus, they now herd people through the rooms like they do, or did, last time I was in the siena pinacoteca.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:58 pm
@dagmaraka,
Then there are medici villas and gardens not very far outside of Firenze, touches back of hand to forehead..
I will need to shut up re gardens.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:59 pm
@ossobuco,
kicky, i'm a biker...but that means i don't know how/don't enjoy slow biking... so i much prefer walking in cities i'm visiting.

will remember to see uffizi first and give it time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:08 pm
@ossobuco,
The bit about museum herding..

There were a couple of places I visited that one could be accommodated as a visiting special person if one applied early. One was the ceramics museum in Faenza, and the other, the pinacoteca in Siena. I don't know how tough that is to gain access by, what creds one needs. I might try it if I were ever going back to Siena. On the other hand, in Lucca I was the only visitor and got a full guided tour by a woman in a nice suit, at my pace, just by walking in. Maybe it was my black travel smith suit and notebook?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Any a2ker been through the Uffizi or the Pitti recently, with a ticket? Were you herded?

I assume that is all about increased security in recent years. I hate it..
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Feh. You can indeed book online. But there is a 6 Euro booking fee and then there is a 6 Euro electronic payment fee... plus ticket itself 6.50... I will wait in line I think. Won't give them three times the price, that's just wrong.
littlek

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:40 pm
@dagmaraka,
Get out! <some incoherent noise>

I wanna go!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:43 pm
Sigh.

Ok. The guy from your bathroom photos is there. And you can see a knock off in the plaza outside the museum along with a brass boar that people rub for good luck.

Ponte vechio is nearby - a cool old bridge with over done shops on it, but it's still fun to cross. And across the river is a gardens which you can tour.

Sigh.
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:45 pm
@littlek,
ooooh, IS HE?!?!?!

now my priorities are clearly set!
littlek

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:53 pm
@dagmaraka,
<grin>

The line to see the actual David went around the blokc. I couldn't be bothered. But, I'm not you.
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:58 pm
@littlek,
so the pics are of the knockoff? Evil or Very Mad Shocked Neutral

(very niiiiiiice Drunk Mr. Green )
littlek

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:01 pm
@dagmaraka,
eeeyep! But I like fake David anyway. Real David is of a snow white marble.