Enjoyment of Life

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
since the topic "where is the U.S. economy going" is getting somewhat cluttered by posts that (imo) don't have much to do with the economy of the united states and the world but more with LIFESTYLE , i am starting a new topic "enjoyment of life" .

there are some posts under "where is the U.S. economy going" that i would like to see further discussed here .

anyone care to join in ?
hbg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,170 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:52 pm
@hamburger,
I'm game, but if you start a new thread every time spendi posts nonsensical junk, a2k will run out of memory. LOL
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:24 pm
spendius wrote :

Quote:
Re: hamburger(Post 3541780)
Are you equating the spending of money with enjoying life?

http://able2know.org/topic/47327-236#post-3542186

since we just came back from a short walk through the neighbourhood , i can say that i do not equate the spending of money (just for the sake of spending it) with enjoying life .
while it was a little cool - minus 12 C - , the sun was shining and our neighbour's dog visited for a bellyscratch and some just reward (milkbones) .
so we definetely enjoyed our short outing without spending any money (except for milkbones ; but annie earns her keep , she watches our house as if it were her own and warns off any trespassers ) .

we also enjoy live concerts and other live performances (theatre) .
i don't expect the performers to entertain me for free and happily pay to attend those performances .

in the summer we like to sit in our garden and except for paying for some annuals - most of our flowers are perennials - and the tax on our lot , it's for free and very enjoyable .

we also like to see new and old places near and far . some places are nearby and we can drive to them , others are farther away and we need to use other means of travel - rail , bus , airplane , ship .
we also enjoy meeting the many people from different parts of our country and from other countries of the world .
we have certainly been able to learn more of the world we live in and the people sharing the world with us .
we have enjoyed that part of our lives as much as going for a walk or sitting and working in the garden .
i don't see it as "one only but not the other" should be enjoyed .
as far as i know , the people from other nations that we met , have also learned from us (based upon what they told us) .

unless i mis-understood you , you also seem to equate the spending of money for the enjoyment of life as "profoundly contrary to Western Christian thinking. " .

that's really news to me .
i know for a fact that many "western christian" groups of different denominations organize and encourage the travel to other parts of the world .
is what these groups are doing "profoundly contrary to Western Christian thinking " ?
they can't do it for free , so somehow the spending of money is involved .
i would be interested in what you think of christians that encourage travel to other parts of our world .
take care !
hbg

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:38 pm
@hamburger,
And all those of religion traveling all over the world to start missions and provide the needy with food and shelter. Must be against god's laws or som'tn
hamburger

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
can't help it if no one else is enjoying life .
we are leaving for toronto on friday morning for the weekend and intend to enjoy ourselves .
hbg Wink Cool
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:52 pm
@hamburger,
Have a safe and great time to you and the Mrs.
hamburger

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
thanks , c.i. - we'll enjoy the winterbreak - even though toronto isn't much warmer than it's here .
couple of good shows - good food - leaving the driving to VIA RAIL - and all paid for already .
despite spendius' warnings : we'll try to have a good time . Wink
take care !
hbg
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:59 pm
@hamburger,
One of the best shows I have ever seen was "Jolson" in Toronto many years ago. It was an interactive show where the audience was welcomed to sing along with Jolson. Wink
0 Replies