Ack! What Was Michelle Obama Thinking?

Eorl

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:42 pm
I liked when she walked on the street, the wind blowing against her, clearly outlining the curves of her ... bullet proof vest.
0 Replies

Lambchop

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 10:03 pm
@ehBeth,
I liked the We Are One outfit too. Best one of the group.

I also liked the cardigan she wore with the dress at the inaugural luncheon, better than the coat.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 10:31 pm
Quote:
I wanted to pick a very optimistic color, that had sunshine,” Ms. Toledo said in a telephone interview from her studio in New York. “I wanted her to feel charmed, and in that way would charm everybody else.” Ms. Toledo, a native of Cuba who has been making clothes for 25 years, often without attracting the attention of big-name designers, seemed overwhelmed. “This is so wonderful.”

Another distinguishing aspect of the Toledo outfit was that Mrs. Obama’s dress and the small details, like the necklace, were plainly visible. The other women on the steps were bundled up, with scarves and raised collars. The only other woman on the steps who might have outshone Mrs. Obama was Aretha Franklin, who wore a spectacular gray felt hat studded with crystals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/us/politics/21fashion.html?hp
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:32 pm
Quote:
What did you think of first lady Michelle Obama's inaugural gown?
Liked it 69% 11716
Didn't like it 31% 5230

http://www.cnn.com/
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:05 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

That baby poop colored outfit has got to go. Ick.

She will SO not be the next Jackie O in that get up.

I know she can do better.

Who dressed her?

I thought Mrs Obama looked super. Why did you continue to watch the performance, if you didn't like what you saw?
Miller

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:07 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

At least she didnt wear a stoopid hat with a big brim and bow.

I thougth the "Queen of Soul" was the hit of the whole performance. Apparently, FARMERS know little or nothing about women's fashion.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:08 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

hat?

The Queen of Soul ( Ms Aretha Franklin ) wore a hat while she sang.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:10 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Michelle is thinking that she is not a kept woman, she will strike out on her own. She is also thinking that being the first black first lady gives her a lot of room to do the unusual, she can blame it all on her social subgroup status.

Which social subgroup status is that?
Miller

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:14 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

she can blame it all on her social subgroup status.

"social subgroup status"? As a lawyer at the U of C, Ms Obama had a salary over $300000/year and now as a senior adviser to the President she's earning $400,000/year.

Wish I was in that "social subgroup"!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:42 am
@ehBeth,
That is a fantastic picture.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:48 pm
@Bella Dea,
Yes - I saw them this morning. I guess J Crew designed them and immediately everyone went on the website to try and buy them. Unfortunately they were designed exclusively for the girls so they couldn't be found on the website. I'm going to take a lookie later any way.
Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 01:50 pm
@ehBeth,
I agree - I did like this outfit and thought it fit the occassion.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:56 pm
@Linkat,
So I checked out the J. Crew website and it said:
"We are truly honored to have been able to play a part in this historic occasion. The pieces worn by Malia and Sasha were designed exclusively for them-from the colors to the styles to the fabrics-and are currently not available."

I wonder if there will be knock offs.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 05:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Michelle is thinking that she is not a kept woman, she will strike out on her own. She is also thinking that being the first black first lady gives her a lot of room to do the unusual, she can blame it all on her social subgroup status.

Good question. Shocked
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:14 pm
@eoe,
Quote:

Black of course. She can do any damn fool thing she wants, and if it does not work pass it off as (or more likely receive a pass from others) on the basis of "acting black". She is under no pressure to conform on style, only on substance. I applaud the lack of conformity on fashion, it suits Michelle, and sure is a lot better than early in the campaign when she set herself apart by way of running her mouth. She can't do that, but she can pick the designer she wants. She can leave her mark in her way without getting in Barrack's way and without feeling like she is made second class, she has learned how to do this in the last year.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
What exactly is it you mean by the phrase "social subgroup status" because the way you've worded it, it sounds as if you are saying that being Black makes Michelle Obama sub-human.

Who is it that is making her feel second class when she doesn't conform to this subgroup status?

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
That's how I read it initially, but I think he meant it as "subset" as in we are all humans but there are subsets of the larger set.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 07:39 am
@Miller,
Are you stupid or just looking to pick a fight?

Tuesday was about the swearing in of our new prez. I watched it because of that. I just noticed the first lady's poor choice in fashion and commented on it.

Get the stick out of your ass.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:09 pm
I don't think we can help checking out fashion statements of notables at certain events. I remember being really curious to see what she chose...and I was hoping for something lovely. I thought the choice was hideous. But, the dress she wore...the white one....at the dance...was gorgeous.

She's a lovely woman with a great shape....and the matronly weirdly colored flailing frock and snot green gloves were a boo boo. I think that horrid black and red thing she wore on the night Obama was nominated was a harbinger of the dreck she'll be wearing for the duration.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 02:13:41