Ack! What Was Michelle Obama Thinking?

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:02 pm
@squinney,
eh, i hardly ever capitalize anything... only when writing emails to my father. but yes, Aretha is Queen, fully agree.

dunno quite exactly what catty is - doesn't translate into slovak at least - but i intended to be lighthearted...hence the wink. stoopid internet tubes.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:41 pm
Well, I hated it. And I still hate it. It is an icky color and I think she could have pulled off something much better.

And no it's not catty. Come on squinney, where is your sence of fun?

In the infamous words of the Joker "Why so serious?"

Life is so god damn serious, a little silliness and trivial fun is necessary in my book.

Take a look at some of my other threads started today.

Silliness abounds.

We have a long time to be serious.

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:43 pm
@Bella Dea,
Hmm, don't see that. Love the inbetween yellow and green color and it does look better walking than when she was just standing at the inauguration. The coat is fab and the gloves bring out the green tint nicely. Shug, I would love to own that getup.
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:47 pm
@dagmaraka,
The style was a little marm-ish IMO. But it's ok that you liked it dag....we can not agree. As long as you don't start telling me what a catty bitch I am for pointing out that I didn't like the first lady's outfit, we're good.

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:49 pm
@Bella Dea,
i would shoot against myself i think... i made plenty of comments about who's wearing what today Very Happy

I was watching for 7 hours though...gotta take part in some lighthearted banter, too.
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:52 pm
@dagmaraka,
Exactly!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:55 pm
I do love the girls coats. They are too cute.
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:01 pm
@Bella Dea,
so colorful! did you notice the older one has the same walk as Michelle? The younger one doesn't walk...she's floating! Smile
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:01 pm
@dagmaraka,
She's so proud of her daddy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:02 pm
I had a strong initial reaction to Michelle's outfit - I liked it. And I gave her kudos for wearing the gold and olive together.

Have you seen the elder daughter video taping (or phtographing) her father? She seems to have taken this on as her duty.

Hmmmm..... baby poop and duty. Everytime I hear duty I think doodie (poop). One of his lines was very funny in that context. I wonder if i can find it in a text of his speech.
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 04:12 pm
@littlek,
Totally. And I saw him give her a double-take when she busted out the camera Very Happy
0 Replies

pamelap81us

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 06:55 pm
@sozobe,
I feel the same way...the color and style were not appropriate for this event, she would have been better off in a winter white coat with some nice pearls!!! What was she thinking!!! Hated it!
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 07:08 pm
Michelle is thinking that she is not a kept woman, she will strike out on her own. She is also thinking that being the first black first lady gives her a lot of room to do the unusual, she can blame it all on her social subgroup status.
djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 07:16 pm
i just saw a pic of the outfit, i like it
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 07:34 pm
@pamelap81us,
Agree with me? But I liked it!

I was trying to figure out the construction -- whether it was a gold brocade as someone said, or a lace overlay on white satin (the inside of the coat was white and I think that's where the shine came from -- I'm not sure yet). This picture has a good closeup, I think it's an overlay (and the color is a light yellowy green, not gold):

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2009/01/20/lincolnbibletimothyclaryafpgetty.jpg
Lambchop

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:52 pm
@sozobe,
I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first, then I decided I liked it. I couldn't really tell at first what color her gloves and shoes were. Gray? Then I decided they must be a sort of moss green. Anyway, I came down on the side of liking it.

I also really liked the littlest daughter's pink coat!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 08:59 pm
Quote:
From a purely aesthetic point of view, the selection was a wise one. The rich shade was flattering to her skin, and it proudly announced her embrace of a role that is symbolic, grand and historic. But the selection of Toledo to create her swearing-in ensemble also suggested that Obama intends to embrace the fashion industry in a way that most of her predecessors have not.

Toledo is not a well-known designer, although she was briefly creative director at Anne Klein. Her work is not readily available; it is limited to a handful of independent boutiques such as Chicago's Ikram, where Obama has been a regular customer. It is also sold at Barneys New York. And Toledo does not advertise. In short, it takes effort and desire to find her work.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/20/AR2009012002377.html?hpid=topnews
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:02 pm
Didn't care for it (I mentioned about it being the same suit my Barbie had in about 1965 on the other 'style' thread). The pale lipstick just threw it over the not-good vintage edge.

Really didn't dig this effect

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2009/01/20/image4738226g.jpg

It looks less appealing in some photos than others. Time to talk to Oprah's stylist. Get some advice from someone who wants her to look good.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:09 pm
http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2009/01/20/image4741477g.jpg

this was less vintagey - worked better for her IMNSHO
ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 09:31 pm
@ehBeth,
slide show of Ms. Obama's outfits from the train trip on

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/18/michelle-obamas-inaugurat_n_158916.html

I like the We are One concert get-up. More Narciso Rodrigo.

She and Ms. Biden had to know they were going to be wearing matching outfits in Baltimore.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 06:53:24