Has Anyone Read Guns of the South?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 897 • Replies: 8
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 08:43 am
Not me, tell me more and I might take a look.
0 Replies

JoeNamath

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 01:19 pm
Quote:
JoanneDorel wrote...

Not me, tell me more and I might take a look.

the author is harry Turtledove, the alternate history master. in this book he is writing how the civil war would have gone if the south had AK-47's and eventually won the war
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 01:25 pm
I've read it, and everything from Turtledove that comes my way. Actually, I preferred his series on the alien invasion at around the time of the second world war, but Guns of the South was another good read. He has also done a three part series on the Civil War with a much more plausible point of departure.

Initially, I shied away from Turtledove. I mean, if the guy is embarassed to use his real name. . . But it is his real name and he really does have a Ph.D in History.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:07 pm
Ak-47s and the South would have won the civil war how weird is that. Will look into it a new author to me but if Rog likes it I might like it to.
0 Replies

JoeNamath

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:23 am
it is a good read
you should read it regardless of the un-realistic story-line. It is very erious it's not making a joke or anything just giving readers a view to what it would be like if the south won the civil war. In one of my other posts in the history forum, i asked what it would be like today if the south won the civil war adn there is a very thorough response. check it out in the history forum in the post SOUTH WINS CIVIL WAR on the first page.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 09:18 am
But I have read it. That's what I just said. It is a very realistic story line, which follows an unrealistic premis with perfect logic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 09:40 am
I heard this on the NPR program Radio Reader . . . i remember thinking how ridiculous it was . . . but, then, i'm the one posted the long reply in the other thread, and i'd have to say that the premise needs to be extremely ridiculous--the South lost the war as soon as match was put to primer for the first gun which fired at Fort Sumter . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 09:42 am
An' i am getting a free lunch today, Roger . . . the folks at the Chinese restaurant screwed up my order the other night (which didn't matter since i enjoyed the food anyway), an' they gave me a coupon . . .
0 Replies