I'm So Excited About My New Toy

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 07:22 am
and no, she's not inflatable.... I bought a thing called a vocalist live 4. It's a real time intelligent harmonizer. I've had one before but it was too difficult for live use. this one is truly plug and play...point and click. It has a foot pedal. It will give you any combination of four voices in addition to your won in any combination of high or low octave, unison or 3rd, 5th, and 7th harmonies. It even allows you to pick gender of the voices so you can mix harmonies with male and female voices. It takes it cue from your guitar and intelligently delivers the correct harmonies, and it has a thirty second memory so if I was singing a song where a chord was hit and then I sang accapella for up to 30 seconds between chords it would continue to deliver the correct harmony. In other words I could perform "Seven Bridges Road " in perfect harmony alone with all 4 voices.

Now there are those who will say "Pretty soon you'll need no talent at all to go out and sing"...but that's not true. You still have to deliver the correct melody on key and in a pleasing tone and there is a learning curve, although it's incredibly user friendly, as with any electronic device. However, should I be on say my third night in a row, or be sick or tired and lacking the juice to be RIGHT ON key at every note on a given night....and this happens to ALL singers at some point....the voice after all can fall victim to overuse, strain or fatigue like any other muscle... it also has digital pitch correction up to almost a half step, and even has a processor that modifies the timbre of your voice... a very handy thing for people who do covers as i do. Think modifying Dennis De Young to sound like Greg Allman. Well, maybe not that radical...but a handy tool. You can preset an entire evening of performance and just turn it all on and off with a foot switch, then scroll to the next song.

It should come today. I demo'ed it at Sam Ash and was going to buy it...then found it 135.00 cheaper on ebay...still new and under warranty. I've got speakers and an amp set up in the living room and I feel like Ralphie waiting for his Little Orphan Annie decoder ring....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,718 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Montana

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 07:24 am
Cool Cool
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 07:27 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
In other words I could perform "Seven Bridges Road " in perfect harmony alone with all 4 voices.

that's great, can i talk to Sybil now Wink
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 07:55 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
BPB: Now THAT is awesome! Congrat. Must be a blast.
I recall getting a program 10 yrs ago that allowed me (very basic beginner w/ a rudimentary ability to read music) to compose musical tunes with no keyboards or instrument. I was in heaven.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 08:36 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bear, I haven't seen you this excited for a long time. Your new toy must have boobs.

BBB

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 08:38 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
You heard it here folks....when I'm excited you can see it all the way from New Mexico.....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:41 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
... I feel like Ralphie waiting for his Little Orphan Annie decoder ring....

And let's hope it doesn't play the equivalent of "don't forget to drink your Ovaltine."
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:42 am
IT'S HERE!!!!!
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 11:11 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
We probably won't see any posts from the Bear for several weeks as he plays with his new toy. The least he can do is to record a video of the pair so we can see what's he so excited about.

BBB
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 11:38 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
here's a link.... notice he's singing the same note over and over but changing the guitar chords which the unit senses intelligently and delivers the proper harmony...this thing is amazing... I'm going to get it at the office right now....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUb9wHA9qwU&feature=related
djjd62

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 12:03 pm
Montana

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 04:03 pm
That thing is awesome! Have a blast Bear :-D
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 04:34 pm
@djjd62,
Mommy I want one of those!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 04:42 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I wonder what Les Paul would think of your new gadget?

BBB
roger

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 06:02 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Awesome. I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds just wonderful, anyway.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 08:36 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
he would love it
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 08:40 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Yeah! Les Paul worked so hard to manually achive multiple recordings to get several tones on his electric guitar, which was wonderful as a new technique. I loved his music.

BBB
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:41 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
he was an innovator and a lover of innovation...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:45 pm
your toy looks fun, bear.

and if it makes you sound like you sing on pitch, well... Cool.

Shocked Cool
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:21 pm
@Rockhead,
uh... I do sing on pitch