Worm farm slugs

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:25 pm
I recently opened my worm farm for the first time in a while.

I had been colonised by revolting looking yellowish slugs, the biggest being about the size of a middle finger.

The worms are still there, but I was interested if anybody knows whether the slugs are preying on the worms or just eating the surrounding material.

And are they likely to be any use as bait?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,072 • Replies: 5
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 08:43 pm
I deal with slugs all the time. One of the nicknames for my city is "slugtown".

The easiest and most humane way to get rid of them is to pour a little beer into a cup and burry the cup up to the rim. The slugs will be attracted to the beer, fall into the cup and drown (but they probably don't care).

Despite living in a town nicknamed "please let-me-come-visit-you-and-take-me-fishingville" I've never heard of anyone using slugs for bait.

Of course, you can get arrested for using corn for bait here, soooo......

And your doctor can help you die here, sooooo....

Jeez. Now I need to borrow some medical marajuana, sooo....

Anyway.

I'd get rid of the slugs but I don't think they'll hurt your worms except maybe compete for yummy compost.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 05:52 am
@boomerang,
Thanks boomerang.

I picked out what I could and placed a container of (alcoholic ginger-) beer (all I had) in the bottom tray.

You can get arrested for using corn for bait? Wha'?
0 Replies

spikepipsqueak

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 04:58 pm
@boomerang,
Hi boomerang, reporting back.

I suspect your method would be good in the garden, but I found more drowned worms than slugs in the farm.

sigh - back to picking them out by hand.

Thanks for the thought Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 06:04 pm
http://thegardenforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=127

Quote:
Slugs (Stylommatophora)
These unpopular invertebrates will appreciate the cool damp conditions of the worm bin to ride out the heat of the day. Some species of slug are omnivores and will aid the beneficial organisms in the system in breaking down the organic matter. While there are carnivorous slug species that feed on earthworms, they eat so few of them as to be a negligible problem.

Slug control is not required but if desired, is best affected by hand picking them from the system.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg060849551321.html

Quote:
Hello, kill them when you can, yes they will have left eggs behind, yes they will procreate they allways do wherever we kill them eggs are always left behind which is why we can not get rid of them completely if you kill them in your worm bin leave the carcases for the worms to dispose of thats what worms do.
spikepipsqueak

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 06:59 am
@Butrflynet,
Many thanks Butrflynet.
0 Replies