How much of Christianity is based on Paganism?

Olivier5

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 07:06 am
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
I think it is fair, therefore, to say that Christianity is ROOTED in Judaism but not in paganism.

But Judaism itself is rooted in paganism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 07:12 am
Foxfyre is an elderly woman (if she is still among the living) who is profoundly ignorant, and a religious and political, fanatical conservative. Even if she were still active here (she hasn't posted in years), you would be wasting your time.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 07:23 am
@Setanta,
I need to pay more attention to posts dates... But anyone else can chip in of course. The idea that Christianity is more pagan than other monotheist religions is ridiculous.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 07:26 am
Quote:
Smileyrius said:@RF- you will note that Jeremiah was talking to God, praising him over the idols of the land, and not God talking to man. Neither God nor Jeremiah were telling man that idolatry is harmless

What celestial orb are you orbiting mate?
God told Jeremiah to pass on this message to the human race-
Jeremiah said-
"You people of Israel, listen to what the Lord has to say to you....
The Lord says such idols are like scarecrows in a melon patch...their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good." (Jeremiah ch 10)
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 07:38 am
Quote:
Olivier said: no human idea or system or religion is 100% new; they all borrow a lot from prior ideas and systems and religions. Christianity is no exception

Prove it..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/shane-wilson_zps4568c86a.jpg~original
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 09:03 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Do you want to read the whole passage of Jeremiah 10 again before I address your comment? perhaps context it to the time it was said? If you are certain that I am wrong, I will then explain it, then you can rebuttle
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 09:10 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Prove it..Smile

It's already been proven. There are numerous mythologies which predate christianity by hundreds and sometimes thousands of years which contain all of the same stories of Christianity.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 10:27 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Prove it

What would you consider a convincing proof? Set your own evidence standard, and I'll see if I can meet it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 11:54 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Christianize the pagan rituals and images, eh?
How very Roman Catholic of you, Romeo.
Quote:
You cannot be drinking the cup of the LORD and the cup of demons . . . (1 Corinthians 10:21)
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 09:37 pm
Quote:
Smileyrius said: @RF- Do you want to read the whole passage of Jeremiah 10 again before I address your comment?

Seems clear-cut enough to me mate, are you reading the Klingon version of the bible or what?
Jeremiah said-
"You people of Israel, listen to what the Lord has to say to you....
The Lord says such idols are like scarecrows in a melon patch...their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good." (Jeremiah ch 10)

PS- some versions call it a "cucumber patch" but the meaning stays the same
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 09:41 pm
Quote:
Rosborne said: There are numerous mythologies which predate christianity by hundreds and sometimes thousands of years which contain all of the same stories of Christianity

So what? there were so many waffly ideas and stuff flying around like pinballs that it's inevitable one should accidentally score by coinciding with Christianity now and again..Smile
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 09:48 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: Christianize the pagan rituals and images, eh?
How very Roman Catholic of you, Romeo.
"You cannot be drinking the cup of the LORD and the cup of demons . . . (1 Corinthians 10:21)

Huh? Christianity didn't "christianize" the pagan rituals and images, it OVERWROTE them and WIPED THEM OUT..Smile
As for Catholics, they worship statues of Jesus's mum and get no sympathy from me, because nowhere does the Bible say to pray to her or any other humans!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 10:33 pm
@rosborne979,
Interesting presentation about the sun, all born on December 25, and the three kings. I thought christianity was created through the myths of Egypt, and the book of the dead. I have visited Horus' temple a couple of times, and heard that he declared himself the sun god.

My family background is buddhist and christians, but I couldn't believe in the christian religion because of the dogma and discrimination taught by the church leaders. It just didn't make any sense to my young brain that they could be the true religion of god, and yet speak bad against other religions.

When I married my wife, a buddhist, my mother never smiled once during the whole ceremony or reception. All my siblings are christians married to christians, and they continue to "pray for me."

I've always been the yellow sheep of our family.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 11:31 pm
Mythological symbolism in the Bible predates the Christian texts as evidenced in the some of the stories in the Tanakh, what Christians, for the most part, include in their Old Testaments. The deluge myth is informed by the idea of the primeval waters and their cleansing and regenerative effects found in the creation myths of other ancient religious traditions.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 11:46 pm
Quote:
Cicerone said: I couldn't believe in the christian religion because of the dogma and discrimination taught by the church leaders. It just didn't make any sense to my young brain that they could be the true religion of god, and yet speak bad against other religions

But all other religions are Jesus-rejecters, and hell will freeze before i let a Jesus rejecter in my home..Smile
"Don't let unbelievers into your house or bid them God speed" (2 John 1:10 KJV)
"Don't yoke yourself with unbelievers,for what do light and darkness have in common?" (2 Cor 6:14)
Jesus said:- "Whoever rejects me rejects God...whoever's ashamed of me and my words, I'll be ashamed of him" (Luke 10:16, Mark 8:38 )
"If you hang around with losers you become a loser"- Donald Trump
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 04:17 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
You must keep in mind my friend, that the Jews were poised to be taken into captivity by the Babylonians as part of Gods judgement against them for the sins of idolatry and rebellion against him. The babylonian way of life was saturated with the worship of false gods, divination of the stars and Idolatry.
"Learn not the way of the nations ... the nations are dismayed ... the customs of the peoples are vanity ..." (Jeremiah 10:2-3). Could the admonition of this chapter be anything other than to aid the Jews in rejecting the idolatry of the Gentiles, such as that they would encounter in Babylon.
Jeremiah went on to say directly after your verse
6No one is like you, YHWH; you are great, and your name is mighty in power.
So by contrasting the idols with God he admonished the Jews to give up their affection for their idols, which they had held onto from the days of Mannasseh, and to cling to God, who would save them out of captivity after 70 years.

I have been wrong before my friend and please do not hesitate to show me where I am, but to use the verse to suggest that idolatry is harmless, when in context it was one of the key reasons they were being taken into captivity in the first place, could be considered a stretch.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 04:27 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Christianity didn't "christianize" the pagan rituals and images, it OVERWROTE them and WIPED THEM OUT

Could you explain this sentence and your share your full knowledge on the matter? I fail to understand.

which denomination overwrote and wiped them out?
how did they do this?
when was this done?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 05:18 am
Quote:
Romeo said: "You people of Israel, listen to what the Lord has to say to you....The Lord says such idols are like scarecrows in a melon patch...their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good." (Jeremiah ch 10)
Smileyrius said: to use the verse to suggest that idolatry is harmless, when in context it was one of the key reasons they were being taken into captivity in the first place, could be considered a stretch.

I'm not 'suggesting' anything mate, I'm simply quoting that verse where God laughs at idols and calls them harmless, so if you disagree with him you'll have to take it up with him personally..Smile
Look at 'em, useless harmless pieces of stone junk-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/stone-idols_zpsea8c8960.jpg~original
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 05:28 am
Quote:
Romeo said: Christianity didn't "christianize" the pagan rituals and images, it OVERWROTE them and WIPED THEM OUT
Smileyrius asked: Could you explain this sentence and your share your full knowledge on the matter? I fail to understand.
which denomination overwrote and wiped them out?
how did they do this? when was this done?

Do you see thousands of pagan churches and temples dotted around mate?
No of course you don't but there are thousands of Christian churches everywhere, many of them built on ancient pagan sites to stomp them into the ground ..Smile
Quite simply, Christianity is the biggest game on the park..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/rel-pie-1.gif
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 05:44 am
Any belief based on ignorance is worthless. In the same way ignorant Christians deny evolution they also try to deny Christianity's pagan heritage. Adonis, Baal (and Hadad), Marduk, Osiris, Tammuz/Dumuzi, Melquart, Eshmun and Odin all died and rose again. Jesus may have been a lot of things, but he was hardly original.
0 Replies