Coke vs. Pepsi, Revisited

dufkat1

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 10:21 am
I'm sure you all have noticed the "downsizing" in our food packaging. For most items we are paying the same price for less product, and paying more for the same amount in others.

This has occurred most recently in the soft drink industry. Most major brand soft drinks offer a 12-can fridge pack, that were usually between $2.75 on sale to around $3.50. Pepsi has downsized their fridge pack to 8 cans, selling for around $2.25 to 2.75. They no longer provide 12 packs.Coke. on the other hand, has made no changes in packaging, but have increased the price on the 12-packs to between $3.50 to $4.50.

I would love to find out how consumers are reacting to this. I imagine the price-per can is comparable, but a lot of people don't take time to do math. Will people pounce on the cheaper 8-pack, thinking they are saving money, or will they think Pepsi is trying to put one over on them? Will people pay more money for Coke. Will brand loyalties change?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,589 • Replies: 7
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 10:40 am
there are five of us in this house, I have no interest is smaller package counts as it means that I need to schlep more packages and find room for more. When Dryers shrunk their half gallon ice creams by 25% I started to boycott them. I usually drink coke, now I will always drink coke.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 01:10 pm
There is not ONE good thing about pop (or soda as the south calls it.)

Rots your teeth, full of sugar, plays havoc on your colon . . . anything more?

Oh yea, COKE will take tar off your car.

0 Replies

dufkat1

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 11:45 am
Looks like Coke "won." Pepsi has come back to the 12-can fridge pack. I guess I have my answer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 11:55 am
I guess you are doing marketing research. Now let me guess . . . you work for Coke?
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:38 pm
@Setanta,
Most likely not directly for Coke (third party firms tend to do this kind of thing), and most likely not marketing research so much as marketing itself: astroturfing is the most likely scenario.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:04 pm
Yeah, i thought of that after i posted . . . but didn't consider it worth my while to post again . . .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:08 pm
what's all this talk of downsizing packages????

what are we supposed to do, eat less?
0 Replies