Longlost children's book

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 09:45 am
I remember a well loved book from my childhood called (I think) "A
Garland of Children". It had brief one-page stories each with a full page color illustration. It wasn't written for children, unless to be read aloud to them. In a sense, the text may have illustrated the pictures, rather then the other way round. The pictures may have been by P. Boutet de Monvel (or Montvel). I can't find it listed anywhere.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,035 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 10:59 am
@Tomkitten,
This is the closest I could find. It's called A Garland of Children's Verse and is by Barbara Taylor Bradford. Published in 1960. There's also A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson. It is from 1947, possibly earlier.
Tomkitten

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 11:35 am
@jespah,
No, this wasn't verse. BTW, it was a rather oversize book - not all that thick, but large pages. And I seem to remember a light blue binding. But thanks, anyway.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 12:50 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis-Maurice_Boutet_de_Monvel#cite_note-Columbia-0

and then there is an artist Bernard Boutet de Monvel, but I could not find anyone by the first name starting with P-
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 01:07 pm
@Tomkitten,
I think you're right about the initial. Thanks.
0 Replies

chris64

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 08:06 pm
@Tomkitten,

The Children's Garland of Verse

by Robinson, Charles, Rhys, Grace.

I found this at alibris book store on the net. i might be looking for the same book.
0 Replies