Book: Sex used to break Muslim prisoners

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 08:59 pm
Sex used to break Muslim prisoners, book says
Women allegedly wore thongs, touched Guantanamo detainees

Quote:
Female interrogators tried to break Muslim detainees at the U.S. prison camp in Guantanamo Bay by sexual touching, wearing miniskirts and thong underwear and in one case smearing a Saudi man’s face with fake menstrual blood, according to an insider’s written account.

A draft manuscript obtained by the Associated Press is classified as secret pending a Pentagon review for a planned book that details ways the U.S. military used women as part of tougher physical and psychological interrogation tactics to get terror suspects to talk.

It’s the most revealing account so far of interrogations at the secretive detention camp, where officials say they have halted some controversial techniques.

Quote:
“His female interrogator decided that she needed to turn up the heat,” Saar writes, saying she repeatedly asked the detainee who had sent him to Arizona, telling him he could “cooperate” or “have no hope whatsoever of ever leaving this place or talking to a lawyer.”’

The man closed his eyes and began to pray, Saar writes.

The female interrogator wanted to “break him,” Saar adds, describing how she removed her uniform top to expose a tight-fitting T-shirt and began taunting the detainee, touching her breasts, rubbing them against the prisoner’s back and commenting on his apparent erection.

The detainee looked up and spat in her face, the manuscript recounts.

The interrogator left the room to ask a Muslim linguist how she could break the prisoner’s reliance on God. The linguist told her to tell the detainee that she was menstruating, touch him, then make sure to turn off the water in his cell so he couldn’t wash.

Strict interpretation of Islamic law forbids physical contact with women other than a man’s wife or family, and with any menstruating women, who are considered unclean.

“The concept was to make the detainee feel that after talking to her he was unclean and was unable to go before his God in prayer and gain strength,” says the draft, stamped “Secret.”

The interrogator used ink from a red pen to fool the detainee, Saar writes.

Prisoner ‘began to cry like a baby’
“She then started to place her hands in her pants as she walked behind the detainee,” he says. “As she circled around him he could see that she was taking her hand out of her pants. When it became visible the detainee saw what appeared to be red blood on her hand. She said, ’Who sent you to Arizona?’ He then glared at her with a piercing look of hatred.

“She then wiped the red ink on his face. He shouted at the top of his lungs, spat at her and lunged forward” " so fiercely that he broke loose from one ankle shackle.

“He began to cry like a baby,” the draft says, noting the interrogator left saying, “Have a fun night in your cell without any water to clean yourself.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,452 • Replies: 10
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 08:08 pm
Yep, this is all true.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 09:17 pm
I read that years ago.

I am interested about why you post it now? Is it new to you, or were you hoping for a discussion about it?

Frankly, it leaves me speechless.

I am disgusted by people who find women and menstruation unclean.

Nonetheless, this seems to me like using threats of rape against women. (Well...do they bother to use threats?)

Torture sucks.

This is torture to the targeted group.

It sucks. It sucked when I first read about it some years ago...it still sucks.

What's YOUR take, Robert?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 09:19 pm
@dlowan,
He is baiting Google, give him a break......
dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 09:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
I have no idea what that means, and I am not doing anything from which he requires a "break".

I am simply interested in his take.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 09:40 pm
@dlowan,
if the thread's mission is the search engine optimization of a2k then RG may or may not have a take...

shall wait to see if he has something to say.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 01:03 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I read that years ago.

I am interested about why you post it now? Is it new to you, or were you hoping for a discussion about it?

Some of the specific details were new to me, and I wanted to save the article. If it's new to others then that's fine but I'm just saving it for me. It recently popped up on a bunch of other sites I follow and I saved it.

Quote:
What's YOUR take, Robert?

I'm always surprised at how far some of these interrogators are willing to sexualize their interrogations and at how generally incompetent they seem.

I think a lot of the sexual stuff has a lot more to do with the interrogator than the interrogated and some of them seem like they need just the flimsiest of excuses to start up with some pretty twisted ****.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 02:00 am
At least the Americans got confessions: all they need now is trials: I wonder if they got anyone to confess to shooting Jesse james. Maybe kidnapping the Lindbergh baby. Shooting O.J.s wife maybe. Lets plant a glove.
The land of the free: after all its not worth ten cents
aidan

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 03:50 am
@Fountofwisdom,
dlowan said:
Quote:
I am disgusted by people who find women and menstruation unclean.

But I wouldn't isolate that to being a male or Muslim issue. Honestly, if some woman put her hand in her underwear and threatened to put it anywhere near my face - whether there was menstrual blood on her hands or not-I'd probably tell her anything she wanted to know.

And I'm fine with the female gender as a gender and my own body and bodily fluids - but yeah - I guess I am disgusted by the thought of someone else's menstrual blood being anywhere near me - especially on my face and/or near my mouth or my nose.

But then I wanted to be a child/maternal health nurse/midwife so I volunteered at family planning and one day of holding the trays for pap smear samples was enough to convince me I couldn't ...too squeamish.

If these female interrogators get their kicks out of teasing and sexually humiliating these guys - that's pretty sad and sick. But as you said, not so different from threats of rape against women
In these cases especially - it's most definitely all about power- and the sexualization is incidental, but telling I think, in that women have been taught throughout history that that's where their power lies - and in many instances believe that that's the only power they have.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 05:27 pm
@aidan,
getting what is wanted out of prisoners who are being interrogated is called "breaking the source", which implies that all know that this exercise is about power. Integrators are taught to use whatever tools they have as best they can, and women obviously have different tools then men. To the extent that women integrators can use their sexuality to unman men, to cause them to psychologically break down and give up what is wanted, we have to permit them to use this tool. This is not abuse on the battle field. Women can use their sexuality to break down men off the battlefield as well, and this use of sexuality may not be appropriate.
aidan

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 05:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye said:
Quote:
Women can use their sexuality to break down men off the battlefield as well, and this use of sexuality may not be appropriate.

When I first read this it brought to mind a product warning on packaging: Use of this product may not be appropriate in cases of.....whatever....fill in the blank. Very Happy

Well, yeah...and men can use sexuality to break down women off the battlefield as well, and this use of sexuality may not be appropriate.

I don't know anything about battlefields or torture - and I have no expertise in methods of interrogation.
I think what people do to other people in war and torturous situations is probably pretty horrible.
But I don't know why anyone would be surprised when a woman resorts to using her sexuality when in a man's world (which this has historically been known to be) - that's pretty much (historically) the only powerful tool she's been acknowledged to have.
I don't think I could be an interrogator. I'd die before I could even pretend to be doing the **** these ladies are doing.
I'd have to make my contribution in some other role - maybe I could be a code breaker or something.
0 Replies