minors and religon

knot74

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 08:43 pm
i am 17 and going to the marines in less than six months do my parents have the right to force me to go to church
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,556 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 08:47 pm
@knot74,
You've got less than six months to endure the torture of having your family around. What's the big deal? There are thousands of folks in the armed services on their second, third and fourth tours of duty who would gladly change places with you to be able to spend a day in church with their family rather than bunking down with a bunch of stinky combat boots.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 09:16 pm
@knot74,
If you're a minor then they can probably make you go, but they can't tell you what to think or believe. Anyway, hang in there, you've only got a few months before the marines will take your mind off of everything.
Foofie

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 09:28 pm
Less than a year back there was a PBS documentary, Carrier, depicting life on an aircraft carrier in today's Navy. As an aside, there were some Marines assigned to the vessel for some reason or other (the Marines are part of the Dept. of the Navy, I thought).

Anyway, this documentary showed that there does exist a percentage of the men and women on the Carrier that took their religion seriously. There was, I believe, a Catholic and Protestant Chaplain. There was one scene in the documentary of young men/women getting Baptized in a large tub, as part of there conversion to Christ. Anyway, the documentary pointed out that the culture aboard ship included religion for some men/women that were away from family (or single). The freedom to worship as we choose is one of the reasons why America has to continue to have a military, I believe. In effect, even the people in the military that choose not to participate in religion are giving that freedom to others (to worship as they choose, or not to worship at all) by being in the military.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:07 am
@knot74,
knot74- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I think that it has to do with your parents, their level of religiosity, and your relationship with them. First, let me say that I eschewed all things religious by the age of fourteen. I was very strong willed, and there was not too much my parents could do about it.

If you are living in their house, and being supported by them, all you really can do is state your preferences, and attempt to make them understand how you feel about going to church. If they are still hell bent (to coin a phrase) on your going to church, it might be easier for all involved for you do spend an hour a week to avoid dissention in the family. After all, you are going out on your own in six months, and those months will go by quickly.

It is very difficult to give you more than general advice. I don't know you or your family, and the importance of religion to them. Once you are on your own, you certainly can conduct your own life as you see fit.
fresco

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 09:17 am
Quote:
i am 17 and going to the marines in less than six months do my parents have the right to force me to go to church

Phoenix speaks sense.

I find it useful to analyse the use of "my" in the context of family.
"Possession" implies both rights and obligations. In the case of interpersonal relationships these are reciprocal and usually negotiable. The answer to the question involves the "payoffs" involved in the particular transaction and not in any nebulous impersonal concept of "human rights".
knot74

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 10:12 pm
@Phoenix32890,
thanks for the advice but thats what im doing cuz if i dont he tried to threaten me with J.J.C. so at first i said "bet take me to J.J.C then but then my pops got shitty and left haha so yea i just said forget it and im going but the only thing i really wanna kno is if its legal
0 Replies

knot74

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 10:17 pm
@rosborne979,
yea you right thanks
0 Replies

knot74

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 10:30 pm
@fresco,
thanks man that helped me
0 Replies

knot74

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 09:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
first off im 6'3 i wiegh 215 i bench 275 second i am a athelete and i love to box so when my and my pops have disagreements we dont use our mouths, and i dont like bein bossed around cuz im not a weak minded person and i really dont like my church and trust me if i could trade places with those folks on they 2nd and 3rd tours i would so dont try and analyze my problem all i asked is if it was legal or not for my pops to force me to church cuz i dont believe in having a religion forced upon a person, i wasnt looking for no smartass comment from somebody whose life im gonna be fighting for in less than a year, im not a stupid ass kid whose bitchin about somethin, i did enough of that when i was younger
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 10:48 pm
@knot74,
Something tells me you are going to have a rough time in the military. Hope it all works out for you.
knot74

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 03:29 pm
@Butrflynet,
well...thank you, stay up and stay good
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 06:54 pm
@Butrflynet,
I get your drift.
0 Replies