Bailed-out banks pay executives $1.6 billions

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:03 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Part of me really hopes that the younger generation (born in the late 70's to now) rise up against the older generation who has chosen to mortgage our/my future.

I hope that when people my generation rise to power they will give a voice to the pissed off youth in this country who are now indentured servents to the retiring generation.

BOOMSDAY NOW!

T
K
O
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:16 am
@Woiyo9,
Quote:
Have you written your Congressman and Senators and thanked them for putting us in this position?

They were freely elected into office by your goodselves old chap. Presumably you had tasked them. You are scapegoating. They are politicians. They promised to do what you tasked them with. They serve, as they often remind us. Like a pit-bull, say. If you set them a task they were unable to accomplish it is the task-master who is to blame. Surely. They go grey in office don't they? Quite rapidly in some cases.

Would you blame one who on reading that stuff after a couple of stiffeners shouting--"Why don't these c***s get elected them f***ingselves. Bitterly.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:31 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It is worth pointing out that the pay and benefits referred to here by CJ were paid from the private revenues of the institutions concerned, and were not taxpayer dollars.

This ignores the principle of fungibility. All company funds that are used for purposes other than putting the company back on its feet is that much more that the bail out money must cover.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:38 am
Quote:
I hope that when people my generation rise to power they will give a voice to the pissed off youth in this country who are now indentured servents to the retiring generation.

Nah-- they just buy 'em off. Voices want fame. The RG has it on offer. The RG buys the stuff media flogs. The RG owns media. Just wait until they find out how to live to 120. And all the holiday destination jumbos have to be kitted out with--trail your own imagination on that.

They can't buy artists off though.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 10:20 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Foofie, as usual, hasn't understood anything nor gotten the point in all this.

Aristocracy? We're talking about bank executives here, Foofie, not aristocrats.
I wouldn't care a bit what they are and how much money they have if it weren't
for the fact that the banks those executives work for, received taxpayers money
to bail them out. I see no entitlement of exorbitant salaries, bonuses,
stock options and other benefits to executives who have over the years driven the
banks into near bankruptcy with their executive decisions.

Secondly, we agree that the bail-out needed to take place, but who in their
right mind gives billions of dollars to the banking industry without having
them hold accountable for the distribution of funds, especially after having
given such a poor track record of misusing and mishandling funds. It's
like giving little Johnny another 100 dollars after he lost the first one somewhere.

Thank you for the compliments (just going along with your statement above that I do not get the point).

Sorry, they are our aristocracy. That is the beauty of this country. One does not have to be born into aristocracy to ultimately function like one. Like in this country, one can be anything one wants. One can convert from Catholicism to Episcopalean, change one's surname to an Anglicized sounding surname. As long as it is not done for illegal purposes, we can be anything we want in the good 'ole U.S.A. (Which is why, I believe, the overseas troops will start chanting "U.S.A." when a Christmas USO tour shows anything depicting an American flag. They understand on some level, I believe, this country of ours allows freedoms not even conceived of in many other lands).

Considering the French aristocracy ate well, while the peasants starved, gives me the belief that we should have few complaints. The need to see what the "other guy" has in comparison to others, or us, is just my not minding my own business, considering I have enough calories to eat, so I do not end my day hungry.

But, if you have a need to be concerned, who am I to rain on your parade, so to speak. I am only one humble peasant.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 10:26 am
@spendius,
Thank you for the words of encouragement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 02:00 pm
@Woiyo9,
Maybe you can explain, smartass, how salaries and benefits paid to these clowns in 2007 (read CJ's article again) can have been paid for with the money from a bail-out in 2008?
spendius

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 02:16 pm
@Setanta,
Well- you pay yourself a dollop in 2007 and leave a hole in the balance sheet and in 2008 the taxpayer fills it up. It's simple.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 02:52 pm
@Setanta,
Salary deferral Plans? Is it possible that taxpayer dollars will be co-mingled and used to pay on these plans?

No one knows because the Banks refuse to disclose and the politicans refuse to oversee.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 03:19 pm
That is entirely possible. That does not change the fact that the compensation referred to in CJ's opening article was paid in 2007--before the bail-out. It is typical of hysterical conservatives that they want to blame this on the Congress, which was opposed to the deal until your boy Baby Bush wheedled and bullied it out of them. The same is true with the auto makers bail-out, which only got passed when Bush promised to pay them anyway.

It takes both parties to organize this tango.
Woiyo9

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:02 am
@Setanta,
Bull. the Senate approved of the so called Bush Bailout Plan and the House approved the Auto Bailout.

Congress is responsible for oversight and is providing none.

I did not approve of the bailouts and Bush is partly responsible. However, do not give Congress a free pass.

Barney Frank, chairperson of the House Finance Committee, is currently more concerned about which Pastor speaks at the inauguration rather than finding our what the hell is going on with taxpayer dollars.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:49 am
I haven't given the Congress a free pass. I've just pointed out that all the members of that Thieves and Liars Club are responsible. I only object to conservative clowns coming into a thread like this and attempting to suggest that the evil liberals are, as always, responsible for everything that's wrong in the country, while the sainted conservatives can only look on in horror.
Woiyo9

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 08:01 am
@Setanta,
When it comes to politicians and the execution of their duties, there really is no such thing as "conservatives" and "liberals". Special interest groups give money to all forms of scumbags and all have profited in some way.

Partisans who side with either party are narrow minded.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:09 pm
@Setanta,
I don't look on in horror Set. I find it highly amusing.

When virtue and compassion are responsible for everything that's wrong in the country what other option is there?

That's an atheistic, behaviourist position as I understand the scientific argument of Dr Skinner & Co.
0 Replies