What's the best business to own during a recession?

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:35 am
@Mr Stillwater,
You obviously don't know a lot about factoring. Years ago, I worked in that field. It was an honest business, giving manufacturers a reliable cash flow (based on their accounts receivable). The factors also "checked" the accounts, and offered credit insurance to their customers. Many of the largest banks have factoring divisions.

Oh sure, there is the "broken nose" crowd, but they are not factors. They are called "loan sharks".
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:41 am
After my errand running yesterday, I would say the best business is a Dollar Store. It was the only place with long lines and people holding baskets full of stuff. Personally, I would be afraid to eat anything that place sells, but frozen hot dogs, ravioli and canned peas are going to be on a lot of tables in the near future judging by what people were buying.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 10:53 am
@Fountofwisdom,
I usually do okay in hard economic times... people still go out to drink and still have weddings and birthday parties.... recreational funds are built in to college tuition.... but the club business in Raleigh is not booming right now... I'm looking at a slimmer than usual 1st. quarter.... my Holiday season though has been kicking....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 10:54 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Mr Stillwater wrote:

Factoring. That's were you 'buy' the debt of some corporation that has some cash-flow problems. You can then arrange to collect the moneys owed by the 'clients', you can also break their legs and sell their children into servitude. I predict that it will become a big growth industry - I'd say Halliburton will probably branch out into this one.

Perhaps sub out the field work to Blackwater....
hamburger

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 07:50 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
buying and selling "distressed" merchandise a recession-proof business
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/t MSNBC the business of buying and selling distressed merchandise is doing exceptionally well .

buy it for pennies on the dollar :

http://www.truckload-liquidation.com/

just like we need vultures to pick clean the carcass of a dead animal ... ...

http://freethumbs.dreamstime.com/225/big/free_2259248.jpg

0 Replies