It is a mistake to have contempt for your customers

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 02:36 pm
We upgraded my wife's phone last week. This is her response after reading the manual:

Quote:
The technical writing field must not be having problems with unemployment, if my new cell phone manual provides any insight.

Here are a few tidbits that I found interesting:
1) "Non approved accessories can cause damage...Hint: If it's being sold out of someone's car trunk, walk away."
Gee, do you think I should not buy hot accessories for my cell phone? But they are so cheap - and so tempting...but now that I've read the manual, I guess I better not. Thank you manual.

2) "Do not attempt to operate your phone charger if it has...been thrown from a speeding motorcycle or is otherwise damaged."
WTH? Am I Wonder Woman? Am I cell phone sadist who goes around tossing innocent phones off motorbikes? Why is this in my manual, I ask you, why?

3) "Water... even a small amount such as...tears of joy, squirt-gun crossfire..."
Um, who do they think is going to be using this phone? Apparently a child-like, hyper-emotional superhero who buys hot cell phone accessories. Or perhaps an effeminate HOG rider with a criminal record? Gee, maybe I should think about whether Nokia projects the image I want to project...

And how about these little tidbits, found on the safety page:

Direct quote: "Keep your phone closed." (What the hell does that even mean? It's not a flip phone!)

And "If it rings and you discover it's in the back seat, do NOT crawl over the seat to answer it while driving."

a) I can only hope that "it" is a phone.
b) How the hell would I discover that "it" is in the back seat without crawling over the seat to see where "it" is. Can I crawl over the seat to pick "it" up? Maybe if I "keep it closed" that would be okay. Of course, I probably already will have tossed "it" out the window or used "it" as a shield in a squirt gun fight, so I'll be SOL anyway.

Or how about the instructions for texting, where they tell me how to text "HEY" to someone. I know that's high on my list of things to say when writing to my friends. How about texting "WTH?" Got instructions for that in there anywhere?

Curiously omitted are instructions for how to open the damn battery door. I could have actually USED that, even if it had come dripping with sarcasm like the rest of the manual. I know IT folks snicker behind our backs, but in the open? In the manual? For shame, Nokia, for shame.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,637 • Replies: 13
No top replies

chai2

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 02:42 pm
all those scenerios sound like things someone tried or did, and then sued them.

keeps the lawyers working.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 02:45 pm
@chai2,
My favorite is "keep your phone closed" when it's not a flip phone. Did they even look at the damn phone before writing a manual for it?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 04:13 pm
@DrewDad,
I don't know how to say this politely, DrewDad, but some poetry is just too sublime, too subtle for computer networking geeks like you to appreciate. Don't feel bad or inadequate about it -- we can't all be connaisseurs of the arts and literature.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 04:28 pm
@Thomas,
Perhaps you should "keep it closed", buddy.

Wink
dlowan

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 04:59 pm
@DrewDad,
It's kind of funny.

Maybe it was someone's last day?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 05:17 pm

. . . oh the irony . . . it's almost painful . . .
NickFun

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 05:18 pm
The manual leaves out a lot of information they could be held liable for:

*If you are in an airplane without a parachute and drop your phone out the window DO NOT leave the plane to get it.
*If a phone has been flushed down the toilet DO NOT enter the sewers without proper permits.
*If a coyote or wolf eats your phone please call animal control. DO NOT kill the animals yourself as you risk damaging the phone.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 05:50 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

. . . oh the irony . . . it's almost painful . . .

I have never had contempt for my customers.

I've a great deal to spare for you, however.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 05:51 pm
@DrewDad,
Call someone who gives a rat's ass about your pathetic contempt.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 12:54 am
@Setanta,
Now that comeback was pathetic. You're the one who started tossing barbs; feel free not to contribute to my threads in the future.
2PacksAday

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 01:55 am
@DrewDad,
DD said:

"Apparently a child-like, hyper-emotional superhero who buys hot cell phone accessories."

I kid you not, I can have that idea sold by 10am Monday...maybe not a full blown series, but at least a four book mini series, guaranteed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 04:20 pm
@DrewDad,
You could as easily have stayed out of the thread which i started in which i complained about the quality of customer service from code writers and engineers, including lame user manuals. Instead, you felt compelled to insert yourself into the thread, and then to come out with some loony paranoid fantasy to the effect that i was attacking you as an exercise in transference. Really, the only mistake i made in that thread was in responding to you as though you had any meaningful contribution to add to the thread.

Hypocrite.
spendius

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 04:30 pm
@Setanta,
That's a bit snotty Set I must say. What about the festive season of good cheer?
0 Replies