MOTHER-IN-LAW . . .

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 09:06 am
Some brainiacs at Cambridge had done a survey, and come up with some interesting results. They say that 55% of mothers-in-law are unsatisfied with their sons' choices of wives, and that 50% of wives dislike their mothers-in-law. So, does that mean mothers-in-law are successful dissemblers, accomplished liars? The study also finds that only 15% of husbands are dissatisfied with their mothers-in-law. I guess that's the "yeah, whatever" attitude.

OK, come on, cough it up. How do you feel about in-laws? Feel free to heap coals of execration on the devoted pates of your unsuspecting relatives by marriage . . .

Mother in Law, mother In Law
Mother in Law, mother In Law

The worst person I know
Mother-in law, mother-in law
Mother-in law, mother-in law
Ah, she worries me, so
If she'd leave us alone
A we would have a happy home
Sent from down below

Mother in Law, mother in Law

Satan should be her name
To me they're bout the same
Every time I open my mouth
She steps in, tries to put me out
How could she stoop so low

I come home with my pay
She asks me what I made
She thinks her advice is the constitution
But if she would leave that would be the solution
And don't come back no more

Mother in law
My . . . mother in law, ah
Oh yeah . . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,699 • Replies: 11
No top replies

aidan

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 10:00 am
@Setanta,
I don't have a mother in law - but when I did- I loved her. She was wild, her name was Margaret and she called herself a prayer warrior- and the first time I ever went to meet her she told me to stand up and pull my skirt tight across my hips so she could see my figure - she said, 'You're a nice size...slightly hippy - but that's good - you'll be able to deliver babies...
Then she showed me her scar from her mastectomy - even though I told her I really didn't want to see it - that I was squeamish - she said, 'Don't be a baby - I had the operation, and you can't even LOOK?!' ...then she made me sleep out on the couch outside her bedroom and she kept the door open all night and I woke up in the pitch dark and she was talking to someone - I couldn't figure out who- and then I heard her put the phone down and pick it back up and realized she was calling people and praying with them at 4:30 in the morning.

She liked me - actually tried to talk me out of marrying her son- she didn't think he was good enough for me.

She was a trip - actually one of my favorite people ever.

So different than my mom (who's also a favorite of mine) - that's probably why my husband loved my mother more than his own...I think he found my mother a little more conventional and to his taste as far as what he thought a mother should be.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 05:45 pm
I liked both my MILs but if you're asking men, both of mine would say they didn't like mine and she didn't like them. Actually, my mother doesn't approve of any of her SILs unless she needs them for something.

Ten yrs ago she tried to charge me $25 for my husband's Christmas dinner. And this was after I'd bought all the groceries - LOL. She's a little nuts sometimes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 05:50 pm
Thanks Kids . . . i had come to think that no one would respond.
Mame

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 05:57 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Thanks Kids . . . i had come to think that no one would respond.

Been out all day.
hamburger

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 06:11 pm
@Mame,
my m-i-l was a great cook . that was all i needed !

in german one says : liebe geht durch den magen !
love goes through the stomach - not really a good translation . ``good cooking keeps love alive`` , might be a better translation.
and mrs h is a GOOD COOK !
hbg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 06:15 pm
My mil has actually been sober for a while now

and ya know what

i like her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 06:18 pm
My mother in law was a horrid cook, and that was just the start. Over a couple of decades we worked into a sort of mutual tolerance. It helped me, in retrospect, that her sons weren't too keen either.
On the other hand, I genuinely enjoyed my father in law, a man of 4th grade education but an excellent story teller, who read a lot of history books.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 07:55 pm
I just dropped by to find out who Setanta's mother-in-law is.
djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 07:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 10:49 am
I've always felt that I'd dodged a bullet when I met my future husband and he told me that his parents had passed away. That was ten big points in his favor.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 07:53 pm
My mother-in-law makes me anxious. In small doses I like her, but if I have an extended visit with her I almost always have panic attacks afterward. She's the master of making weird little comments that my husband doesn't notice but that shred my self-esteem...She scares me. Plus she's so good at manipulating men that it makes me kind of sick to see her around my husband & my brothers-in-law.

......say, this reminds me-- three cheers for not going home for Christmas!! Mr. Green
0 Replies