Space Shuttle Landing in CA in 45 minutes - Watch Live

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 02:44 pm
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Space shuttle Endeavour and its seven astronauts streaked toward a Sunday afternoon arrival in sunny California, diverted there by stormy weather at the primary landing strip in Florida.

Endeavour was scheduled to touch down at Edwards Air Force Base at 4:25 p.m. EST.

NASA ordered the detour after dangerously high wind and a stormy sky prevented a Florida landing for the space station delivery and repair mission. With the weather at Kennedy Space Center looking no better for Monday, Mission Control opted for its backup landing site.

You can watch it live online here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/22886841#22886841
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 916 • Replies: 10
No top replies

chai2

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 03:26 pm
That is some wild stuff.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 03:28 pm
@chai2,
Is that just distortion from the waves of heat coming off the tail of the shuttle or does it look like smoldering smoke?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 03:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
It sure looks like they have a bit of a smoldering fire there on the tail.

The service vehicles are giving it a wide berth too. Wish there was sound so we can know what is going on.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 03:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
The air around it must really reek of scorched Teflon. The service crew are all wearing gas masks and oxygen tanks.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 03:50 pm
Must be a normal occurrence. I just listened to the replay on a TV stations site and nothing at all was mentioned about the heat distortion coming from the tail.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 05:30 pm
Oh, sorry, I didn't watch any more after it was safe on the ground and stopped.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 07:12 pm
@Butrflynet,
amazing Butrfly - thanku x
chai2

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 11:14 am
@Izzie,
I keep wondering what it must be like to be in outer space, and watching the earth get closer....and closer.

Until it fills up your entire window, and it still gets closer and closer.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 11:26 am
@chai2,
They must also have mixed feelings about gravity. It is so much easier to move around up there in some instances and so difficult in others. And it must be a real drag coming back to earth's gravity after being at the space station for several months. I imagine a great sense of lethargic heaviness.

I wish more of the past astronauts would write a book or do an indepth interview on the more personal aspects of space travel without all the navigational and technical jargon.
Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 11:42 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

They must also have mixed feelings about gravity. It is so much easier to move around up there in some instances and so difficult in others. And it must be a real drag coming back to earth's gravity after being at the space station for several months. I imagine a great sense of lethargic heaviness.

I wish more of the past astronauts would write a book or do an indepth interview on the more personal aspects of space travel without all the navigational and technical jargon.
you want more gravitas?
0 Replies