"The Short Bus: A Journey Beyond Normal"

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:42 pm
Has anyone read this book?

I picked it up yesterday at the airport bookshop while waiting for my mom's plane to land.

As much as I love my mom and am happy to have her here I really wish that I could just sit down and read. Under the current circumstances it will probably take me a while to get through. Nevertheless, I'm curious as to what others have thought of this book.

Anybody?

From "Amazon":

Quote:
From School Library Journal
Adult/High School"Many kids with physical, mental, and learning disabilities have ridden the short bus to special-education classes, signaling that they were different, singled out, not normal. Mooney was one of those short bus children who hated school because he was dyslexic and couldn't read until he was 12. In 2003, a few years after he graduated from Brown University, he cowrote a book on learning disabilities and began a career of public speaking on the subject. Then he set out on a journey. He bought an old short bus and traveled from Los Angeles to Maine to Washington and back to L.A., stopping to visit with various people who were also not normal. Along the way, he confronted his own preconceptions and assumptions about people with autism, Down syndrome, deafness and blindness, ADHD, and other so-called disabilities. In this book, he deals with the question of What is normal? This is a story about a young man coming to accept himself, but also a cautionary tale about what happens in schools, in the workplace, and in society when people fail to recognize that everyone is normal, just in different ways. Mooney is an engaging writer with a sense of humor about his own failings, and his story is an entertaining and enlightening one."Sarah Flowers, Santa Clara County Library, CA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,534 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:51 pm
@boomerang,
Thank goodness there are people who can afford to buy new books. I can only afford to buy a used book that is one dollar after some immense time (at a used book store), or at a thrift sale/flea market for the the same price. Then there is the library. Then there are people that leave books for others to just take. But, thank you for the title, since I know someone who might enjoy just such a read.
boomerang

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:17 pm
@Foofie,
If you really know someone who might like to read it I'll send it to you after I finish it if it is truly a problem for them to get it.
Foofie

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:31 pm
@boomerang,
It is OK. I believe it is in libraries. Thank you for the thought.
0 Replies