Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 06:58 pm
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) " The Vatican's newspaper has finally forgiven John Lennon for declaring that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, calling the remark a "boast" by a young man grappling with sudden fame.

The comment by Lennon to a London newspaper in 1966 infuriated Christians, particularly in the United States, some of whom burned Beatles' albums in huge pyres.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,134 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:01 pm
@dyslexia,
better late than never, i spoze...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:06 pm
@dyslexia,
I'm sure that John is mighty pleased about that! Rolling Eyes Does the Vatican plan to hold a seance to tell him the good news?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:14 pm
@dyslexia,
If he'd had forgiven him earlier...God probably wouldn't have allowed Chapman to kill him. He'll pay for that one on judgment day...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:19 pm
listening to opie and anthony a couple of weeks back, they had a comedian from england in studio, and he told a story about wanting to get his picture taken at the site where lennon was shot, so he gives his girlfriend the camera and he goes over to a step leading into the dakota, and some security guard tells him he can't sit there and he'll have to move along, he tries to explain but the guy won't listen and pushes him back towards the sidewalk, he leaves, but as he does he asks the guy where the **** he was 28 years ago
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:32 pm
@dyslexia,
John was just commenting on the hysteria of the fans. Unfortunate choice of words.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 05:58 pm
I saw a rerun of "CSI: NY." A murder took place in "Strawberry Fields," a region of Central Park named in Lennon's honor when he was killed. In the episode, they showed the "Imagine" stone memorial in the park. When one of the CSIs was gathering evidence in the park, the music was kind of similar to Moby's techno theme for the "Bourne" movies, except that the singer was singing "Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, yeah yeah." The episode was called, "Bad Beat" (think of the phrase "back beat," which refers to both a feature of rock music and a film about the Beatles).

Obviously this was intended as a Lennon\Beatles tribute, yet when I Googled the episode, none of the reviewers had even caught on to the fact that there were references to Lennon or the Beatles.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 05:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

John was just commenting on the hysteria of the fans. Unfortunate choice of words.

And he apologized in a press conference.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 06:09 pm
@dyslexia,
Y'er trying to wind me up, ain't ya?

Happy New Year, Dys!
dyslexia

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 06:14 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Y'er trying to wind me up, ain't ya?

Happy New Year, Dys!
i will be real gone, long gone and fast asleep when the clock strikes 2009.
djjd62

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 06:15 pm
@dyslexia,
me too
ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 06:20 pm
@djjd62,
I'll be abed reading as usual. Tonight's read involves Albigensians/Cathars. Talk about overreaction...
0 Replies