DrewDad

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 06:18 pm
@2PacksAday,
That's why I said "disengaged."
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 06:33 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Then why are so many people saying it turns off when you brake?

My car does that though. The minute I brake, the cruise control is semi deactivated which means I have to either push + or - to get to the right
speed again.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 07:38 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

chai2 wrote:
Wouldn't it have the same effect like if I was driving along and just took my foot off the gas for a few moments to slow down?

Yes. Exactly the same effect.

chai2 wrote:
What would taking your foot off the gas do to the transmission?

It depends on whether you have a standard or an automatic, and what gear you're in.

With a standard, when you let off the gas, the transmission is still engaged and you immediately start to slow down. Your forward motion (kinetic energy) is being translated into heat in the transmission. If too much heat builds up (you use the transmission to slow yourself going down a long hill) then it will damage the transmission.

With an automatic, you typically coast when you let off the gas. The transmission is not engaged, and you slow slightly. As long as you're just in drive, versus first or second gear, this is fine. If you're in one of the lower gears, then the transmission is probably still engaged and you're in a similar situation as above. This is why putting an automatic in low gear and going down a hill is a bad idea.

chai2 wrote:
with an electric car, wouldn't you want to hit the brakes to recharge the battery?

Yes.
I don't know who told you that, DrewDad, but they were full of it. What you are describing is called "engine breaking" and it harms the transmission not at all. In fact, engine breaking is recommended during hard driving conditions, because your engine (NOT your transmission), unlike your breaks can handle extra heat. Other than higher end sports cars or those equipped with optional "big brakes"; overusing your brakes can be flat out dangerous. The more you use them; the hotter they get; the more they "fade" (which means less stopping power.) Too much abuse and they'll literally start on fire. Your engine on the other hand (NOT your transmission) has it's own cooling system (though some high end and towing vehicles cool the tranny too). At any rate; a transmission is no more bothered by heat when it's taking power from the motor to the wheels or vice versa. It is merely a go between; not the final destination.

Bottom line: I don’t want to argue with you, but neither do I want you spreading this disinformation for two reasons. 1. Its nonsense. 2. Its dangerous to overuse your brakes.

Btw, lower gears are always fine for engine braking. If you are in the mountains or towing something heavy, however, it’s a good idea to avoid overdrive altogether.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:59 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

That's why I said "disengaged."

Yeah, we {you, me...some other folks in this thread} know what you meant by disengaged...just figured Chai might be able to relate to "standby" or "sleep mode" more so.

She's a girl dude, to her that means somebody broke-up or something.
chai2

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:00 pm
I drive like I'm in Italy.
I avoid using brakes at all costs.

Those people will hurry up crossing the street, believe you me.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:07 pm
@2PacksAday,
yeah, like spriteonice was going out with lizzie, then they got disengaged, and she's with deckland now.

wait till lizzie finds out deckland is boomers baby daddy.

yeah, I understand standby because that's what operators do right before you call them to buy a ginsu egg beater and waffle iron.

sleep mode is all like when depesh mode started playing old music.
Ljunkins

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 09:43 am
@Nick Ashley,
When I activate me cc, set it to the desired speed, & then hit my brake to slow down...should the cc light remain on or go off making me start all over??
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 03:38 pm
@chai2,

Quote:
Then why are so many people saying it turns off when you brake?

I'm pretty sure mine does. You can accellerate (moderately) without affecting it, but if you touch the clutch or the brake, it cancels.
I think this is a sensible safety feature.
There is no "RESUME", but it's easy to reset at your chosen speed using buttons on the steering wheel.

My car is a British (European market) Ford Mondeo.
0 Replies

Savs25

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 01:19 am
Your cruise stays in the ON, or ready function even after you disengage it by braking. Over time, constant engagement of any electrical device will wear it out. Even if the actual purpose of the device is not necessarily active. If you leave a stereo on but muted, it will eventually stop working. There is still power draw and therefore a constant, slow and steady wear.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 09:54 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

yeah, like spriteonice was going out with lizzie, then they got disengaged, and she's with deckland now.

wait till lizzie finds out deckland is boomers baby daddy.

yeah, I understand standby because that's what operators do right before you call them to buy a ginsu egg beater and waffle iron.

sleep mode is all like when depesh mode started playing old music.

Wow. What kind of drugs was I on when I wrote this?

Whatever it was, I wish I had some now.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 12:57 pm
@chai2,
That was a funny reply to 2PacksAday.
0 Replies