gungasnake

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 05:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
System is basically broken.....
0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 05:46 am
@OmSigDAVID,
If there's any good news in the picture, it's that there isn't any sort of a racial thing involved, i.e. that the NEA/government school system apparently dumbs white kids down just as effectively as it does blacks or anybody else. In other words, we probably still have a century or two to resolve the genetic entropy problem before the crows and squirrels take over the planet.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:04 am
@gungasnake,
I would suspect that if McCain supporters were asked similar questions, there would be similar (incorrect) answers. I found it interesting that the one person that people knew the most about, it was Sarah Palin. After all, Palin was skewered by the media.

I don't know where these people where from, or what their education or level of sophistication, but, IMO, the average person only knows about politics from sound bites and short political articles.

It is very deceiving to attempt to draw conclusions from clips like the one that was shown. Were there people who knew the correct answers, but were not included in the final film? We will never know. The person making this film had an agenda, and used people who fit their slant.

BTW, I did not vote for Obama.
cjhsa

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:31 am
@gungasnake,
I bet there are lots of candidates considering running on a platform that consists solely of offering a $1000 check to everyone. Nothing else - no economic plan, no health care plan, no foreign policy.... just a check.

Bet one of them wins too.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:35 am
@Phoenix32890,
It was set forth as a survey by a professional pollster.
Phoenix32890

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
In order to have a statistically significant poll, there are formulas that are used to determine how may subjects you need to make the poll statistically significant. You also have to have a random sampling, preferably a stratified random sampling.

In one of the questions, (I forget which) the interviewer, when the person did not know the answer, prompted the subject. In a scientific survery, prompting is an absolute no-no.

Yeah, we know that there are dummies, of all political persuasions, who vote with pitiful little knowledge of what is going on. So what else is new?
cjhsa

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:59 am
@Phoenix32890,
Not much. What's new with you?
Phoenix32890

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 07:07 am
@cjhsa,
I am getting bored with looking at the red ink on my portfolio. Let's see what the "wunderkind" can do about that! Laughing
OmSigDAVID

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 07:09 am
@Phoenix32890,
Good Luck !
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 07:19 am
Incredible that so many people just do not care enough to at least understand the basics.

Should we test before one is allowed to vote?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 07:21 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:

In order to have a statistically significant poll, there are formulas that are used to determine how may subjects you need to make the poll statistically significant. You also have to have a random sampling, preferably a stratified random sampling.

This was exit polling

Quote:

In one of the questions, (I forget which) the interviewer,
when the person did not know the answer, prompted the subject.
In a scientific survery, prompting is an absolute no-no.

That did not happen; the subject declared ignorance qua the question,
then ASKED the pollster a question, which he answered.
That does not mean that he counted his own reply among the statistics.
Actually, no statistics might have been kept; none were used
in the film; just taped interviews.
parados

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
No, that wasn't exit polling David. It was an interviewer asking questions. There was no "polling" involved. 12 people at one polling station is NOT a random sample nor is it a poll.

The questions were not asked in the manner a poll should be asked. This was nothing more than a Leno type "man on the street" interview. Find a bunch of people, ask them questions then edit it down to the dumbest answers.

The video itself lies when it says the people were asked multiple choice questions.

"Do you know who Barney Frank is?" is a multiple choice question?
"Who controls Congress?" is asked an no multiple choice answers are given.
Woiyo9

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:56 am
@parados,
It is HUMOR you moron!!!
parados

Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:16 am
@Woiyo9,
Really? Then why is a RW idiot pushing as being real polling data?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:06 pm
fivethirtyeight.com's Nate Silver had an interesting conversation with the guy behind these interviews and survey. As requested by the guy, he posted a transcript of their conversation on the website.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/11/interview-with-john-ziegler-on-zogby.html
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:09 pm
@gungasnake,

Maybe the privilege to vote in presidential elections should not be extended to just anyone...
gungasnake

Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:08 pm
@H2O MAN,
I think it's safe to say we have a problem.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 21 Nov, 2008 04:20 am
Maybe the person doing the thing with the topic tags could explain to us why he added the tag "gun-nuts" to this one.

This topic has nothing to do with guns or weapons of any sort and the word only occurs in David's sig.

The topic is about people with IQs under 50 or thereabouts voting for Barack Obama.

0 Replies