A JUDGE WHO KNOWS ADDICTION ...

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 02:54 pm
here is a judge who knows what his addiction did to him , and he is ready to help other addicts to find the better way !

Quote:
Real-life experience

With the 'four horsemen of addiction' behind him, newly elected judge says he's ready
By BRIAN ROGERS
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
Nov. 16, 2008, 10:54PM
The devil tattooed on Kevin Fine's upper arm holds a razor blade, a mirror and an eight ball symbolizing cocaine. His forearm sports a tattoo of Jesus holding up a man who has collapsed amid the waves of a massive storm.

Elected by Harris County voters as a state district judge this month, Fine said he'll draw from his experiences as a cocaine addict who has been clean and sober for 10 years when presiding over felony cases.

"Every time I was coming down, I felt like the devil was reaching into my soul, stealing my heart," he said of his days spent with drugs.

The crumpled man in Jesus' arms is a metaphor for the way he later faced his own skeletons and weathered the problems of addiction, said Fine, a criminal defense lawyer who will take the bench in January.

Fine believes he is qualified to help those who truly want to battle their own demons and says he'll be able to spot the phonies.
Anderson is one of four judges who preside over Harris County's "drug courts," which divert some drug offenders into treatment and counseling rather than put them behind bars.

Judges in the program volunteer for a once-a-week docket in drug court in addition to carrying on their regular duties.

for the full story :
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6116339.html

Reyn

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 09:41 pm
@hamburger,
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mbc/lowres/mbcn343l.jpg
OGIONIK

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:27 pm
@Reyn,
he shouldnt be allowed in office, period.

stupid double standard ass system.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:07 am
@hamburger,
Quote:
Judges in the program volunteer for a once-a-week docket in drug court in addition to carrying on their regular duties.

That ought to be fun! "I disagree, your Honor. You didn't have a problem with me supplying drugs when I was selling you all those 8-balls back in 1997!"
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:12 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Quote:

That ought to be fun!
"I disagree, your Honor.
You didn't have a problem with me supplying drugs
when I was selling you all those 8-balls back in 1997!"

Maybe that 's Y u r not supposed to preside over the trials
of people u know.

David
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 02:52 pm
@OGIONIK,
Quote:
he shouldnt be allowed in office, period.

but the PEOPLE spoke , electing him to office !
Mame

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 04:40 pm
@hamburger,
If he's been sober for 10 years, I think it's a little harsh to keep judging him on his past.

His past very well may give him greater insight into what treatments/programs will be most effective.
0 Replies