Your biceps..... how big are they?

chai2

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 03:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Code:Seems counterintuitive.
U 'd expect large, powerful muscles to have more energy.

I dunno about that.

Look at, for instance, Jackie Chan.

I've never seen him with his shirt off, or in shorts, but he doesn't appear to have large muscles (overly large).

Look at how strong he is.

When I was going through my rolfing (structural intergration) sessions, my rolfer said the hardest people to work with, both physically and mentally, are guys that are muscle-bound from the gym.

They don't have any type of range of motion, their bodies literally get in the way of itself. Their muscles aren't loose, they're all bound up.

Mentally, it's hard for them to accept they'd get more use out of their bodies if they would get rid of some of that bulk.

The idea is to have long, muscles, and flexible.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 06:19 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Code:Seems counterintuitive.
U 'd expect large, powerful muscles to have more energy.

I dunno about that.

Look at, for instance, Jackie Chan.

I've never seen him with his shirt off, or in shorts,
but he doesn't appear to have large muscles (overly large).

Look at how strong he is.

Well, in theory, if he lifted weights, building up more muscle mass,
he 'd be stronger.
Do u agree with that ?

Quote:

When I was going through my rolfing (structural intergration) sessions,
my rolfer said the hardest people to work with, both physically
and mentally, are guys that are muscle-bound from the gym.

They don't have any type of range of motion, their bodies
literally get in the way of itself. Their muscles aren't loose,
they're all bound up.

Mentally, it's hard for them to accept they'd get more use
out of their bodies if they would get rid of some of that bulk.

I 've heard that when he eventually gets old and
ends his weight lifting, his excess muscle turns to flab.
I don t actually know if this is true.
HOW do u suggest that he "get rid of some of that bulk" ?

Quote:

The idea is to have long, muscles, and flexible.

Yes; I certainly get your point about reduced range of motion,
but IF greater muscle mass were present in his biceps,
I gotta wonder whether the additional pressure that he became
able to apply to his opponent at each impact,
woud degrade his opponent 's ability to resist and to persist.

David

P.S.:
I think it woud be interesting, if u 'd start a thread
about your rolfing experience; what 's good n bad about it.

Will u do that ?
jespah

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 06:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
David

P.S.:
I think it woud be interesting, if u 'd start a thread
about your rolfing experience; what 's good n bad about it.

Will u do that ?

Ask and ye shall receive: http://able2know.org/topic/100612-1
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 07:16 pm
@jespah,
Thank u, Jespah; very good of u.
chai2

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It's all good david. Not one negative thing about it.
I'm now able to do things I could literally never do my entire life.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:06 pm
Dave, those are what guys like me call "pretty muscles", those are developed purely for size, not for any practical use. Every so often we will get a body builder type in the construction world, they automatically assume that since they possess huge arms, they can keep up with...or outpeform, a skinny guy with smallish arms. What happens has been said in this thread already, the muscles are counter productive, simply too heavy, they {the guy, and the muscles} will tire out long before the real world honed, thin, balanced muscles will...try eating cereal {or soup} with a shovel...it's just too much.

I do know a painter that is also a body builder, not to the extremes seen in this thread, but enough to tell he has done so.....even in heavy winter clothing you can spot a body builder...just a certain stance, and shape they take on. When I say painter, he's not just lifting a paint brush all day, but sanding sheetrock for eight straight hours, or packing around five gallon buckets of paint...that guy is probably extremely "strong"...because he is a combo of both worlds.

Last year I saw one of the funniest things I've ever seen on a jobsite...I'll cut the story down to keep this brief....I watched what most would consider an out of shape, large gutted man slinging 100 pound bags of marble dust around like they were 5 pound bags of sugar. A laborer, that weighs 140 soaking wet, with probably 0% body fat....jumped up on the truck, grabbed a bag and tried to do the same, he lifted so quickly that both of his feet came off the bed of the truck...the bag did not budge an inch. Under all that "fat" were real muscles...as is the case with many construction workers...trust me, you don't want to be punched by a framing carpenter...no matter what he's built like. To be honest...I myself shuffle those same large bags around quite often, and it's more of the technique used than simple raw power, but you have to have some {m}ass or you won't move jack squat.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 11:22 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

Dave, those are what guys like me call "pretty muscles", those are developed purely for size, not for any practical use. Every so often we will get a body builder type in the construction world, they automatically assume that since they possess huge arms, they can keep up with...or outpeform, a skinny guy with smallish arms. What happens has been said in this thread already, the muscles are counter productive, simply too heavy, they {the guy, and the muscles} will tire out long before the real world honed, thin, balanced muscles will...try eating cereal {or soup} with a shovel...it's just too much.

I do know a painter that is also a body builder, not to the extremes seen in this thread, but enough to tell he has done so.....even in heavy winter clothing you can spot a body builder...just a certain stance, and shape they take on. When I say painter, he's not just lifting a paint brush all day, but sanding sheetrock for eight straight hours, or packing around five gallon buckets of paint...that guy is probably extremely "strong"...because he is a combo of both worlds.

Last year I saw one of the funniest things I've ever seen on a jobsite...I'll cut the story down to keep this brief....I watched what most would consider an out of shape, large gutted man slinging 100 pound bags of marble dust around like they were 5 pound bags of sugar. A laborer, that weighs 140 soaking wet, with probably 0% body fat....jumped up on the truck, grabbed a bag and tried to do the same, he lifted so quickly that both of his feet came off the bed of the truck...the bag did not budge an inch. Under all that "fat" were real muscles...as is the case with many construction workers...trust me, you don't want to be punched by a framing carpenter...no matter what he's built like. To be honest...I myself shuffle those same large bags around quite often, and it's more of the technique used than simple raw power, but you have to have some {m}ass or you won't move jack squat.

That 's very enlightening; thank u.

So then, that means that if an average boxer punches
his opponent in the ring, and if in exactly the same situation,
a body builder with huge biceps hits his opponent the same way in the boxing ring,
the impact pressure generated by the body builder will be the same,
or LESS than the average boxer ?

David
2PacksAday

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 12:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well...I would say far less.

Average boxer, let's say an average heavyweight boxer, it really wouldn't be fair to compare a middleweight or a lightweight to one of those over developed fellas {they can get pretty heavy} that's why they have different weight classes. Generally speaking, small guys punch very fast, but there is not a lot of weight behind it, big guys...punch slower, but generate a lot of blunt force....where these two lines intersect, I couldn't tell you...but I'd say probably someone like Evander Hollyfield, would be at the x...he was a light heavyweight, but worked his way up to heavyweight...retaining plenty of speed, and a bit more power with the added weight.

Bodybuilders, are more bulk than anything, {just watch them walk up to the stage, they waddle up} but I suppose if one were to stand flat footed and throw a roundhouse or a haymaker...big wild swing...sure, they could hit with a lot of force....it would hurt....but again, muscles that are disciplined for throwing punches, will allow the boxer to actually hit harder, even though the muscles are smaller....a 155 pound middleweight might even be able to punch "harder" as well....maybe. The biggest guy doesn't always win, I've seen little guys climb up and all over a big guy in just a few seconds...fight was over...I know a few little guys...and it's just the way they are built, and the way they carry themselves....that I would not want a piece of.

Kimbo Slice, comes to mind...he is pretty beefy, but he is more of a brawler...boxing is an art...the sweet science and all that....I wouldn't be totally afraid to climb into a ring with a real boxer, I ain't scared of Mike Tyson, I can bite too....brawling, straight up fighting, is not the same thing at all....I would never, ever want to go toe to toe with Kimbo, not even with a 2x4. A body builder though....eh, just push them over and watch them struggle to get off their back like a turtle.
Blickers

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 01:37 am
@2PacksAday,
Quote:
.I wouldn't be totally afraid to climb into a ring with a real boxer, I ain't scared of Mike Tyson, I can bite too....brawling, straight up fighting, is not the same thing at all....I would never, ever want to go toe to toe with Kimbo, not even with a 2x4.

I would. I think Ultimate fighting and mixed martial arts attract the guys who really couldn't make it in the ring. I'm not saying the fighting techniqes exhibited by Ultimate and mixed martial arts might not be more effective than boxing, but boxing has a bigger payday and the fighters themselves are so much tougher than the other two.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 01:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
So then, that means that if an average boxer punches
his opponent in the ring, and if in exactly the same situation,
a body builder with huge biceps hits his opponent the same way in the boxing ring,
the impact pressure generated by the body builder will be the same,
or LESS than the average boxer ?

David, this is my take on it:

If you have two identical twins, and one becomes a bodybuilder and the other a boxer, given a stationary target the bodybuilder would likely punch harder. At least for the first few punches.

After that, though, fatigue sets in and the boxer would punch harder.

The boxing ring, however, allows the intended to target to move. There are techniqes for moving and preventing the opposing boxer from getting a good shot at you. It is unlikely the bodybuilder ever would get the chance to assume the correct position to exhibit his punching power, and in a few rounds he would be so fatigued he would be in danger of getting knocked out himself.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 08:42 am
Please allow me to clarify something.

2PacksAday wrote:
I wouldn't be totally afraid to climb into a ring with a real boxer, I ain't scared of Mike Tyson, I can bite too....brawling, straight up fighting, is not the same thing at all....I would never, ever want to go toe to toe with Kimbo, not even with a 2x4.

[
Blickers wrote:
I would. I think Ultimate fighting and mixed martial arts attract the guys who really couldn't make it in the ring.

I apologize for the phrasing of this. When I said "I would", I meant I would be afraid to get into the ring with Mike Tyson. That doesn't mean I would not be afraid to get into the ring with Kimbo Slice or any other trained fighter good enough to make a living at it. Believe me, I would want no part of any of them.

People in both these activities are natural born fighters who show the ability to beat other natural born fighters, or else they would quit the game after the first few workouts. Add to that years of training to enhance their strength, stamina and quickness of reaction. It is hard to imagine an average Joe, even one who has won every schoolyard or street fight in his life, not receiving a thorough beating at the hands of any of these people.
2PacksAday

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:22 pm
@Blickers,
I agree, I know I would be plain out stomped vs either...it's not so much how hard you can hit....just getting used to being hit...I'm not that used to it, nor want to be...but I wouldn't fear for my life while squaring off against a professional boxer, but a brawler, no way.

I don't know much about Kimbo, I've watched a few of his street fights...backyards, front yards...on asphalt and all bare knuckle...and I've heard rumors that he snorted coke before each fight...even if that is not true, I still don't want any part of that guy, or anyone like him. Boxers are not only trained physically, but also mentally, normally even when losing {excluding Mr Tyson} they keep their cool, it's just part of their job....someone like Kimbo though...if you did get a solid punch in....and he felt it...I'm sure he would tear loose on ya, hammering away until you were beaten down....that to me is not "boxing". *

Boxers normally don't throw haymakers either, if you miss with one of those it throws you way off balance...and that gets your butt knocked out real quick. In some of the street fights I've seen, that's about all they ever throw...very little if any jabbing, or straights...those guys are going for the knockout every swing....whereas a boxer won't try this until the later rounds, if and when he is way behind in points.

* I did watch Evander get a sudden burst of energy in the 7th round against Foreman, he threw like 19 real {he was going for it} punches in rapid succession...Foreman covered up and took it. If it had been anyone else besides Big George, it may have looked like a brutal beat down...but as I said in my first post...Evander was not quite a large man, as George plainly is, so it just looked like a smaller guy trying to take a bigger guy down with a lot of punches...yeah, I know...thin line, but there is a difference...especially after George just shrugged it off, and went back to work.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 02:04 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Biceps? I'm lucky just to be alive!
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:25 pm
I just saw an ad for a Drake and Josh Christmas movie....Kimbo Slice is in it...looks to be playing a tough guy, perhaps in jail.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:28 am
@2PacksAday,
From what u say,
it looks like maybe he IS a tuff guy.
0 Replies