I hate umbrellas...

quinn1

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 04:51 pm
http://www.funumbrellas.com/information_catalog.htm

I can see the wee ones now...not keeping up their umbrellas but rather, looking at the flashing lights and..oh yeah..not watching where they're walking but, once they got past that..heck..they could poke their friends in the eye and at least leave some flashing hideous light in its place

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/sci_tech/newsid_3148000/3148393.stm

Interseting umbrella invented...however, I still dont think most people would use it, could be good to get started though..start a new rage or some such thing.

Living in NE with great gusts of wind and rain...Ive learned that buying an umbrella that isnt of the largest size and heaviest duty is worthless...and those things ---like golf umbrellas--could injur an entire pack of elderly with one fair swoop...I go without for most of the time..just not worth it in the long run since, like many above I do mostly driving, the rest isnt going to kill me or anything.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 09:14 pm
I live in a rainy windy area too, and in late fall through a good part of spring it drizzles or gust or rains fairly hard or pours like hell some part of the day. When it is drizzling, what with the way people here dress in the rainy months, an umbrella is just silly. When it is gusty, you can break one of those little guys in three seconds, and never fold the wires back pointed the correct way. That leaves expensive sturdy umbrellas, which are hard to afford and walk off and leave you in cafes just as fast as the next umbrella.

Aside, did I mention umbrellas cannot be owned? Sort of like cats.

And then the golf umbrellas, usually of some garish coloration that flies in the face of usual winter outerwear coloring.. Yes, even these fold like brooms upon not that much gustiness, or, gustation.

A nice waterproof coat and hood, plus a handy newspaper for the eye shield... there you go.

Of course, this brings more accidents. People cannot see out of hoods, especially those with furry sides. Oops, crash! Drivers should put their hoods down...

Plus, y'know, it is only water...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 09:59 pm
GD

.....and you're supposed to be a Brit?
How can you hate umbrellas? Isn't that bloody unpatriotic of you?

Don't you have a tightly furled umbrella with you at all times? I thought it was compulsory Twisted Evil

And certainly the English weather warrants something of the sort.

Me - I hate umbrellas - but I live where we have mostly drought - so I don't really need one Razz
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:11 am
I usually leave my umbrella on top of the wardrobe with the bowler hat & briefcase...

You're right that the weather often requires a brolly, but I've found that Osso's method of a decent coat will do. I have close-cropped hair and a hardy constitution and don't mind getting wet. Like, like Osso says, it's only water...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 02:50 am
I just love getting wet in the rain....

Raindrops are falling on my head
and just like the guy who's feet are too big for his bed,
nothing seems to fit
those,
raindrops are falling on my head,they keep falling

so I just did me some talking to the sun,
and I said I didn't like the way he got things done,
sleeping on the job
those,
raindrops are falling on my head they keep falling

But there's one thing, I know
the blues they sent to greet me won't defeat me.
It won't be long 'till happiness steps up to greet me

Raindrops keep falling on my head
but that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turning red.
Crying's not for me, cause
I'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining
because I'm free
nothing's worrying me

It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me

Raindrops keep falling on my head
but that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turning red
crying 's not for me
Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining
because I'm free
Nothing's worrying me
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 06:20 am
My brolly has a blue sky on the inside!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 06:52 am
I think that they should all be made from clear plastic, enabling the user to navigate better through crowded streets. Or perhaps an old-ladies rain hat would be better for everyone? Even if they erected a massive plastic roof over the town, it would be an improvement.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 06:56 am
Er - I hate to say it, but I have never poked an eye out with my brolly - or come close! It seems to me perfectly possible to navigate safely with an umbrella simply by keeping one's eyes about one, and holding it high enough to allow one to se what is going on around one.

One is puzzled by the difficulties seemingly suffered by the above member of the aristocracy...
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 08:16 am
Dlowan - The problem is not me, is the stupid people who are carrying the umbrellas, who don't watch where they're going an don't hold them high enough above their heads. I'm a simple man in fear of his eyes...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 08:17 am
Awwwwwwwwwww!

Fortune and men's eyes.......
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:23 am
I was reminded after re-reading the posts here about The Avengers, and Patrick McNee's brolly with knife blade hidden in the end (and numerous Bond films as well). Perhaps I could invest in something like that...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 03:20 pm
Hmmm - an offending brolly-killer brolly?

Ain't that a tad like cannibalism?
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 03:41 pm
Sorry read the headline and lsot intrest Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 08:46 pm
Oh, maybe tagged loves umbrellas?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 08:47 pm
And, by the way, hi, tagged and welcome...
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 03:00 am
tagged_lyricist wrote:
Sorry read the headline and lost interest Razz

This quote summarises modern life in general better than any I've heard in a while!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 10:20:59