Buying a car in todays economy

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 09:00 pm
@Nick Ashley,
the world changed last month....you might want to take a break from coding and look at the news. The credit happy days are gone for the foreseeable future.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 09:01 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Maybe I can't get my head around the numbers, but I rarely make more in investment interest than the banks are charging, especially in this economy. I'm also more into having free time than having money. I discovered that when I don't have many mandatory bills (I paid cash for my house) that I only have to work 7 months out of the year. I just have to make sure that my taxes and insurances are covered and then I'm free. I've managed to save a nice little sum by avoiding debt and I seem to be in better financial shape than most people who don't mind paying interest.

However, I do understand that you have a different approach and I can respect that.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 09:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
A couple days ago I decided to open the blinds slightly, but the sunlight was way too bright for my retinas, which are adjusted to the warm glow of my monitor Smile

From the little bit of research I have done, it looks like I could get a loan for 4-5% APR pretty easily. I feel that many people, in today's economy, can find an investment that makes more ROI then that. TTH is getting 17% ROI.

Of course many factors come into play, and you always have to factor risk vs reward. Green Witch choose a stress free, zero risk situation which seems to be working great for him/her. For a little more risk, you can potentially get a much higher reward.

Also, remember that you haven't lost, nor gained, any money in the stock market until you sell your stocks. The economy will get better, and if you can wait it out, you can come out ahead. At least that's what my neighbor Warren Buffet believes.

0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:21 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
So TTH, how are you getting 17% in this market? Annuity?
That amongst about 15 other investments.

Also, I keep my cars immaculate, meaning no eating or smoking in them. I keep them at least 10 years or more and since the mileage is low, I sell them for at least 1/2 of what I paid for them. I bought the '91 4-Runner for about $23,000 and sold it in 2002 for $11,000. It had a little over 56,000 miles on it.
0 Replies