Stifled by Copyright, McCain Asks YouTube to Consider Fair Use

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:26 pm
Stifled by Copyright, McCain Asks YouTube to Consider Fair Use
Quote:
After seeings its videos repeatedly removed from YouTube, John McCain's campaign on Monday told the Google-owned video site that its copyright infringement policies are stringent to the point of stifling free speech, and that its lawyers need to revamp the way they evaluate copyright infringement claims.

The McCain campaign's web video ads have been repeatedly either knocked off YouTube or have had to be revamped for using excerpts of television debate footage, and pop songs as soundtracks, without negotiating for the rights first.

One of its highest profile hits on the web, "Obama Love," for example, faced an embarrassing revamp in July when YouTube received a DMCA take-down notice from The Warner Music Group. The campaign had used Franki Valli's hit tune "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" as the video's sarcastic soundtrack.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,601 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 03:57 am
@Robert Gentel,
This is from the same folks who've been sued and/or given a stern talking to by Jackson Browne and Heart for using their songs without permission.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 04:22 am
@Robert Gentel,
I fully agree with the McCain campaign on this issue. The DMCA is a disaster.

But, didn't McCain vote to pass this law?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 07:22 am
@Robert Gentel,
Google owns Youboob. Enough said. Page and Brin can KMA and so can the DMCA. My FIL was in the radio biz and helped get the DMCA started - he couldn't understand my extreme objection.
0 Replies