Indoctrination not taking place?

mismi

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:21 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
Why shouldn't it be part of the curriculum?

If it is historical or whatever - Social Studies fine. First grade does not get into that yet. I would have no problem letting my children go to their teachers wedding. I would want to go as well though. I would think that is just a common courtesy. The twins teacher got married last year and we went. It was great big fun. It was on a Saturday, which most weddings are.

I can't imagine the headache of having my wedding be a field trip to be perfectly honest. This teacher was trying to make a statement. But as long as the parents gave permission, it should not be an issue.

My feelings are that marriage - whether gay or traditional is not part of the curriculum and should not be. Not in first grade.
JTT

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 08:12 pm
Quote:
You can say don't get hung up about the sex issue of marriage but it is the main component of the marriage issue when it comes to same sex marriage. If it wasn't for the sexual issue then gays could marry hetro people. But it comes down to sex and not just love.

Homosexuality comes down to the physical attraction between two men or two women. Don't say it doesn't because it does.

Sex is the key issue between hertosexuals and homosexuals. Once again if it were only a feeling then we wouldn't be at odds with marriage. It is sex plain and simple.

Re: ehBeth (Post 3436608)
Not simply but it does come into play does it not? You married ehbeth? If you are do you and your spouse have sex? I'm willing to bet you do or did. Would you have married if there wasn't a sexual attraction?

I've tried to make sense of these two postings, I really have. But the illogic is making my head hurt. Maybe someone else could give it a go.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:23 am
@mismi,
Mismi,

I have a three year old girl.

We read Sleeping beauty which ends in marriage, The Little Mermaid which ends in Marriage, Beuaty and the beast, Lion King, you name it a childs world is full of love marriage and even child-bearing. Kids absorb this just fine (without needing any understanding of sexual behavior).

I can't imagine a classroom where love and marriage isn't discussed. It permeates literature and culture even on a first grade level.

I think keeping discussions of love and marriage from a first grade classroom is unrealistic and counterproductive to education. Or do you think we should ban any discussion of Cinderella from a first grade classroom?
mismi

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:35 am
@ebrown p,
It's a good thought ebrown. Good for you. Wink Not as part of the curriculum. Reading Cinderella is just fine. You know that - and of course I know where you are going - You know where I am going as well. Not taking the bait though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:38 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
When it comes to children they don't understand either. They know mommy and daddy are married, they know grandpa and grandma are married but what they don't understand is how aunt Kim and aunt Cheryl can get married. At their age they get confused and require an explanation of what is going on. I know already been there with Aunt Kim and Aunt Cheryl, hence the use of these names.

We've had a few conversations about this here, the longest one was probably the one about "Postcards from Buster." My daughter has been "getting" this stuff with no problem at all from when she was very small. Probably in no small part BECAUSE it started when she was very small. As ebrown says, heterosexual marriage is everywhere -- the "happily ever after" of bedtime tales from the very beginning. If that's all a child sees, then something different would be remarked upon, sure.

If a child is aware from very early on that sometimes men and women get married and sometimes women marry each other and sometimes men marry each other, it just isn't that remarkable.

50 years ago, it was unusual for black people and white people to get married. A child may have required explanation if a interracial marriage did occur. That didn't make the interracial marriage wrong.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:41 am
Assuming that permission slips were sent to parents for this trip and it was indicated that the teacher was marrying someone of the same sex, then I don't think the parents have any right to complain if they signed off on their kids' going.

Of course, as was previously stated, I think 1st grade classes should stick to teaching 1st grade curriculum and not sending kids out to a wedding during school hours. Going to a wedding is not going to add to a 1st grader's education one little bit and I think most people here would admit that if you actually put an ounce of thought into it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:47 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Would it have happened if there were two gents or two gals instead of one of each?

1. Yes. Pupils go to the wedding at the registry in most cases (if their isn't a church wedding - this was a teacher from a Catholic school, and they MUST marry in church as well).

2. Not in our rural part of the country - I doubt that homosexual teachers would like to be engaged at schools here.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 08:17 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I wonder who would be so quick to defend this if she had taken the kids to see her get married to a guy in a devoutly Christian or Jewish ceremony?

{raises hand}

I dont remember any of my primary teachers getting married but I think what Walter describes is kind of sweet - all the children going to the marriage. (I mean, if the teacher appreciates it I guess!)

If the marriage in question is something out of the ordinary for them in addition to being a festive occasion - eg, a Pentacostal or a Jewish or a Muslim wedding, or a same-sex wedding or whatever things of cultural variety are of cultural interest, all the better.
nimh

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 08:21 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

Going to a wedding is not going to add to a 1st grader's education one little bit and I think most people here would admit that if you actually put an ounce of thought into it.

Aw, cm'on. How often is it gonna happen that one of their teachers marries? One afternoon out of a year going on an outing instead of studying spelling isnt gonna hurt the wee ones' education Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 08:26 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

If the marriage in question is something out of the ordinary for them in addition to being a festive occasion - eg, a Pentacostal or a Jewish or a Muslim wedding, or a same-sex wedding or whatever things of cultural variety are of cultural interest, all the better.

Exactly that's what pupils like (and which is part of the curriculum: showing the diversity of the world we live in 8or whatever it's called officially.)

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 08:32 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
I think what Walter describes is kind of sweet - all the children going to the marriage. (I mean, if the teacher appreciates it I guess!)

Mostly - sometimes it's thought as a surprise, like when a friend got married (I was the best man) ... and four classes of her school came unexpectedly to the registry office in the town hall. Those 16 children with severe, multiple disabilities made the registrar more than nervous, as well as the people in the ice cream pralour Very Happy

0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 09:18 am
@ebrown p,
Yes, just think. Someday my grandchildren will be driving down Ellen Degenerate Blvd. and cross Portia de Rossi Ave.
0 Replies