American Literature Isolated, Insular, Unqualified -

saab

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 10:54 am
@Brandon9000,
Engdahl cannot be fired as the members of the commity sit in Svenska Akademien for life time.
At least he should come up with an excuse for what he said, but.....
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 11:46 am
@ehBeth,
OK. Your wish is my command.

The Nobel Prize for Literature has been a joke at least since the early 1950s (though probably even earlier) when it was awarded to Sir Winston Churchill. I hold no brief against Sir Winston, but he was not a fine writer; he was a fine politician. Everyone who knew Churchill also knew that most of the "writing" he did on his multi-volume opus was by way of dictation to a panel of literate secretaries who would dutifully polish the prose and edit out any egregious errors. Winston Churchill did not write that work if the verb "to write" is to have any linguistic meaning.

Next, the Nobel committee decided to honor the Russian writer, Boris Pasternak, for his tortured tome on love and war Dr. Zhivago. That book was singled out not because it is a fine novel (it isn't; it's on a par with Gone With the Wind) but because it was banned in the Soviet Union and had to be smuggled out of the country to be published, in translation, in the West. Fine. I was as gleeful about giving the Russians a black eye as anybody, but the fact is that Pasternak did not deserve the Prize. It was a strictly political decision to award it to him.

Politics have always played a large part in the decision of whom to honor with a literary prize. At least one American author who did receive a Nobel, Pearl S. Buck, deserved it about as much as I deserve a Pulitzer for writing this post. The Good Earth is a readable book, interesting in its insights of Chinese peasant life in early 20th Century China. Great literature it ain't. But, you see, here was a daughter of American missionaries writing about China! This astonishing (to the Nobel committee members) accomplishment had to be honored somehow. Else, the world might say that the Swedes were somehow not attuned to the problems of emerging nations.

Emerging nations. In recent years we've seen awards made to writers whose works the awarders had never read because they weren't available in translation and how many Swedes can read Swahili or Arabic or Urdu? If a person is a Western writer, that person's popularity alone is enough to make his work seem suspect in the eyes of the Swedish Academy. Frankly, I'm rather shocked that this year the Prize went to a Frenchman. If you're going to honor someone who writes in a language which is so accessible to half the world's population, why didn't they choose an Algerian (no, Camus doesn't count) or Moroccan?

Some of the truly great writers of the 20th century (and, yes, I use the word advisedly) who never received a nobel have already been mentioned -- Proust, Joyce, W.B. Yeats. I'd add a couple of Americans who, I think, at least deserved consideration -- Norman Mailer and Kurt Vonnegut Jr. Too late now.

If, in years to come, some American writer should be honored by the Swedish Academy, I think he or she should decline the Prize on the same basis that Marlon Brando refused to an Oscar for his performance in Apocalypse Now. Both Academies have become irrelevant.
0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 02:09 pm
@saab,
There are American who have been awarded the Nobel Prize: Octavio Paz and Garcia Marquez are two that I know of.
saab

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 02:24 pm
@TilleyWink,
The first one from South America to get the Prize was Gabriela Mistal 1945 then in 1967 Miguel angel Asturias, 1971 Pablo Neruda and then 1983 and 1990 the ones you mentioned.
By the way my information was to Brandon that the members of Svenska Akademien cannot be fired. They sit for lifetime
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 02:57 pm
@TilleyWink,
U.S. writers who were Nobel Prize recipients include (in no particular order): Eugne O'Neill, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, William Faulkner, Pear S. Buck (the only woman so honored) and probably one or two others I can't think of right now. The Swedish Academy wasn't always as narrow-minded as t is, apparently, today.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 03:01 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Saul Bellow and Toni Morrison are 2 more Americans who won, Merry Andrew.

(Sinclair Lewis also won.)
wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 03:09 pm
@wandeljw,
This may not be relevant, but more than half of the American winners were also alcoholics.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 03:09 pm
@wandeljw,
Thank you, wandeljw. I knew that if anyone came up with a quick amendment to my post, it would prabably be you. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 04:51 pm
I found this article disturbing, but also wondered how much truth it held. I have to confess, I have not been keeping up with the current American writers enough to have an opinion. While I agree with whoever said that American publishers chase after the dollar to the extreme, there about has to be someone out there producing real literature. There are so many keyboards getting pounded, it stands to reason. Who are your favorite Americans? Why should I read their books?
wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 06:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
I can recommend 3 early novels by John Irving:
The Water-Method Man
The 158-Pound Marriage
The World According to Garp

I was disappointed by The Hotel New Hampshire and have not read Irving since then.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 06:46 pm
@wandeljw,
I would certainly endorse The World According to Garp. Haven't read the other two. Have conflicting feelings about The Cider House Rules. Well done, but. . .

Another contemporary American author I've grown to like is E.L. Doctorow. Certainly The Book of Daniel and Ragtime are worth one's time. I was disappointed in the phony ending of Billy Bathgate. Too smooth, too facile, too -- dare I say 'contrived'?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 09:50 pm
good grief these are the people who consider jerry lewis a comedic genius

anyway, if you use the propensity for the nobel as a writer whose work causes your brain to leak blood, the americans still have thomas pynchon.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 10:13 pm
@kuvasz,
Pynchon is another one who has a sinner's chance in hell of being awarded a Nobel.

I have mixed feelings about Pynchon. His debut novel, V, I thought was great. The follow-up, The Crying of Lot 34 (or was it 43? or 37? whatever), was also pretty good, I thought. Then there was a long hiatus and then Vinland. I frankly thought Vinland sucked. A promise unfulfilled.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 09:08 am
Has the Golden Age of the American Novelist died with the Golden Age of the novel? And would that go for England, also?

My question is, is there even a "movement" to which one can apply superlatives? My interest starts lagging after the 1980s: Carver, Barth, early Foster Wallace. And those are short story writers.

If there is a movement, or an American Writing Mill, it's academe. Fiction writing in this country is becoming increasingly professionalized. In that sense, I can see an environment that produces insular literature.

"Unqualified" is just a bullshit insult.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:26 pm
@wandeljw,
Hell, if you're going to put John Irving in the Nobel worthy category then Larry McMurtry ought to get the prize too. I like their writing but it doesn't quite come into the sweeping category of Hemingway or Saul Bellow.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:39 pm
I think Philip Roth is in line to win, eventually. Although he'll probably be ancient, like Doris Lessing, when they award it to him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:46 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
McMurtry has written a few things I like, but there is no way I would rate him for the Nobel. Likewise Roth.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
or Hemmingway.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:51 pm
@dyslexia,
Or Hemmingway.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 01:51 pm
There is also Cormac McCarthy (No Country For Old Men, All The Pretty Horses, Blood Meridian).
0 Replies