Favorite read aloud books

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:20 pm
Right now our favorite read aloud books are "No, David" and "David Gets In Trouble". There are so few words in the books that we make a huge effort to read each page with a different expression. It always turns into a fun little game.

Dr. Suess books are fun to read out loud.

We recently read "The Phantom Tollbooth" aloud -- it had enough funny words and double meanings to make that quite an excercise in language and patience.

We're getting ready to take a road trip and we always take along a book to read aloud. I'm trying to decide between "The Golden Compass" and "A Wrinkle In Time".

Which do you think would be the better read aloud book?

Do you and your kids have favorites to read aloud?

What makes a book a good read aloud?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 20 • Views: 6,301 • Replies: 28
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:30 pm
@boomerang,
Jane loved "Ferdinand the Bull" (I did too when I was young).

http://theband.hiof.no/band_pictures/f_t_bull_1938.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:33 pm
@boomerang,
I loved reading "Charlie Parker Played Be-Bop" aloud -- my dad listened to a lot of jazz, and as I read the book aloud the first time I realized that I was falling into a rhythm that made me realize that I knew the song. Pretty great writing, that just the words do that. (Overshoe overshoe overshoe O...)
littlek

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:42 pm
@sozobe,
My favorite to reads are Dr. Seuss. I like to read Fox in Socks. But, I always had more fun reading it than the kids had listening to it. Same with Hooray for Diffendoofer School! which is a Dr. Seuss book published (and finished) posthumously. The kids preferred Gerald McBoing-Boing (an unusual kid).

Buuuut, I imagine you're moving on away from Seuss books.
Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:27 am
I like the Giving Tree - there are lots of messages in it. One thing is as a child gets older you can help their reading comprehension and other stuff by asking them questions while you read. I asked why isn't the tree happy or the happy depending on the page; and why does the tree give so much, and why is the boy taking so much? Also, what do you think is going to happen?

Stuff like that - with almost any book. Gets them thinking and participating in the story - no answer is wrong.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:30 am
My favorite read aloud book is Lyrical and Critical Essays by Albert Camus.
squinney

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:35 am
@dyslexia,
I think she needs a book for when Mo is awake. Very Happy

Probably too "young" for Mo, but the kids LOVED when I read "Somebody and the Three Blairs" - a twist on the old favorite.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 11:05 am
As a kid, my favorite read-aloud book was Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Shel Silverstein poems usually work well too (my favorite has always the "The Twistable, Turnable Man" from A Light in the Attic), though sometimes you need to see the illustrations to get the full effect of the poems.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:37 pm
Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout would not take the garbage out

Mo loves garbage and wants to be a garbage man when he grows up so that Shel Silverstein poem will always hold a special place for us!

I love Gerald McBoing Boing. I read in in this Ben Stein voice that cracks Mo up even though he doesn't much care for the story.

I know some of the other stories mentioned but it has been a long time since I've read them. I need to do some rereading.

Mo's kind of behind on his reading skills but he's amazing with language so we like books with fun rhythms and tricky word usage.

Thanks for sharing!
mismi

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 03:48 pm
@boomerang,
Dr. Seuss books are fun because of the rhyming...Mr Brown Can Moo Can You.
Too Many Daves, What Was I Scared Of?

Hippo Hop by Christine Loomis is fun as well...another rhyming book

I am sure I will think of some more
mason738

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 05:18 pm
@mismi,
My favorite is "Heather Has Two MOMMIES"
Shapeless

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:16 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout would not take the garbage out

Very Happy

The fanciest dive that was ever dove
was done by Melissa of Coconut Grove.
boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:44 pm
@mason738,
Mason, I really prefer "Why Jesus Hates You And Your Family, Heather: A Child's Guide To Peer Presure, Shame, And Eternal Damnation"

I bet you'd really like it!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:46 pm
@Shapeless,
I'm with you, Shapeless -- Shel ROCKS!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:06 pm
@boomerang,
Dys wasn't kidding, entirely, as he read classics wildly early.

Me, I - on the other hand, am apt to be annoyed out of my aforementioned tree by someone reciting some book to me.

I guess this brings up my quite long experience with theater and the need to get away from actors.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:36 am
@boomerang,
You're already up on Roald Dahl, right? I seem to remember him coming up before but maybe not...

He has a great book of poems that are very fun to read: "Revolting Rhymes."

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 05:54 am
@boomerang,
In the 1970s, I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull
and 2001: A Space Odyssey to a visually impaired friend.

Thay were well received.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:57 am
I took a copy of "Just So Stories" on our road trip. I hadn't heard those stories in probably 40 years. They are brilliant, O My Beloved.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 07:38 pm
@boomerang,
My favorite books I have read out loud to my nephew were the poetry books by Jack Prelutsky. My favorite of his books was The Dragons are Singing Tonight.
http://i44.tinypic.com/n1yvbq.jpg
I can't profess to have a great talent for voice acting but I tried to give each dragon and his or her respective dragon poem a distinctive voice.
boomerang

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
How in the world did you find this two year old thread?

That looks like a cool book! How old is your nephew?

I'm a great read alouder, very dramatic.

The cool thing about Mo is despite his reading struggles he can be very dramatic too. "Let me do that over" is a common phrase. He'll do a passage over and over until he gets the inflections just right.