Schwarzenegger: California needs $7 billion loan

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:27 pm
Arnold Schwarzenegger: California needs $7 billion loan to fend off credit crisis
Arnold Schwarzenegger has warned that California may need an emergency loan of up to $7 billion (£3.9 billion) from the federal government within weeks because of the credit crisis.

Quote:
In a letter sent on Thursday to Henry Paulson, the US Treasury Secretary, Mr Schwarzenegger, California's governor, made clear that his state was running out of money because its usual borrowing channels had suddenly closed.

The US government has not been called on to make such a large emergency loan since New York City borrowed $2.3 billion " equivalent to $9.4 billion today " to stave off bankruptcy in 1975.

Mr Schwarzenegger wrote: "The economic fallout from this national credit crisis continues to drain state tax coffers, making it even more difficult to weather the continuation of frozen credit markets for any length of time."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,078 • Replies: 9
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
california isn't the only place suffering !
heard about it from various news reports :

N.Y. city sees tax revenue shortfall !

link : http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080929/FREE/809299961/1123

Quote:
NY economy could be biggest loser
By Daniel Massey
Published: September 29, 2008 - 5:09 pm

The continued mayhem on Wall Street prompted the state comptroller to issue a revised estimate of Wall Street job losses Monday, raising his projection by 60% to 40,000 jobs.

And that was before the House of Representatives rejected the $700 billion federal bailout plan.

New York State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli said the financial turmoil could cost the state up to $3.5 billion in tax revenues by March 2010.

“The fallout from the Wall Street crisis is starting to hit the state hard,” he said. “This is a warning bell.”
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
California was late with their budget again this year - 85 days. They approved by budget by playing games with revenue which really doesn't exist.

They need to start laying off people, but I don't see that happening - even next year when revenue will fall even more.

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:53 pm
@hamburger,
Thanks, I hadn't seen that.

This is one of the reasons I wanted the bailout bill to pass as it is instead of spending the time to improve it significantly (and there's certainly room for that).

I think that we are very close to a dangerous edge and that we don't have a lot of time to start getting credit moving around before facing very serious economic problems.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
They need to start laying off people, but I don't see that happening - even next year when revenue will fall even more.

I agree! Government spending needs to be curbed, and we've got way too many
government workers wasting our tax dollars.
JTT

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:57 pm
Am I missing something here? Wasn't CA's governor recalled because of these same types of economic issues? And didn't Arnold campaign on a platform of setting things right?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:58 pm
@JTT,
Yes, Wilson was recalled even though Ahnold has mismanaged the state budget even worse. Ahnold increased spending by 35% while income remained on a downturn.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 06:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I don't know what WA State has. The governor says we have a surplus of money and Dino Rossi says we are facing a 3.2 billion dollar deficit.
http://www.dinorossi.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=266&Itemid=69
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 06:19 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Am I missing something here? Wasn't CA's governor recalled because of these same types of economic issues? And didn't Arnold campaign on a platform of setting things right?

You're not missing anything at all except that you only recall a governor for incompetence if he happens to be of the Democratic Party. If he's an incompetent boob of your own party you look the other way.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jb7ueeLI0jls0gCl_5rjpBiqApwgD93FIFL80

Quote:
Ex-governor to GOP: Fight Schwarzenegger recall
By JULIET WILLIAMS " Sep 27, 2008

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) " Former Gov. Pete Wilson urged his fellow Republicans on Saturday not to make light of a recall drive against Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

He told delegates at the California Republican Party's fall convention that they should take the threat from the state prison guards union seriously, even if it isn't likely to succeed.

"I hope that I don't have to tell you what an ill-considered idea that is. We did it once; we did not do it lightly," he said, referring to the 2003 recall of former Gov. Gray Davis, a Democrat, an election that sent Schwarzenegger to Sacramento. "It is something that should not be taken lightly. It is an extreme measure."

A conservative wing of the state GOP had planned to vote later Saturday on whether to endorse the recall campaign but instead decided to further investigate the effort first.

In his lunchtime speech to about 250 delegates, Wilson did not directly address the rift between the politically moderate Schwarzenegger and others in his party. Schwarzenegger also avoided the topic during brief remarks to about 300 party members and supporters Friday night.

The governor's unpopularity with the most conservative Republicans grew this summer after he proposed a temporary increase in the state's sales tax to help close what was then a $15.2 billion deficit. Wilson was critical of the tax plan, as were Republicans in the Legislature who successfully fought the effort.

That proposal particularly rankled rank-and-file Republicans, leading to Saturday's consideration of the recall.

"I think the governor has done everything possible to deserve a recall," said Tom Hudson, the California Republican Assembly's national committeeman. "He's been as bad or worse than Davis."

But the group's vice president, Karen England, said the group needs to figure out how serious the union is about a campaign, how much money it has to fund a recall and who could run as a replacement candidate in such an election.

Schwarzenegger spokeswoman Julie Soderlund said the governor doesn't believe the conservative group will side with the union in the end.

"It's the prison guard union trying to intimidate Gov. Schwarzenegger into the same sweetheart contract Gov. Davis gave them," she said.

In another slap to the governor, the state party's board of directors made its frustration with him official Saturday by adopting a resolution praising legislative Republicans for "refusing to raise taxes and standing against the growth of government."

"We encourage Governor Schwarzenegger to stand with our Republican legislators in the future," the motion said.

Soderlund said the governor agrees a tax increase is the worst possible option.

The California Correctional Peace Officers Association filed formal notice this month of its effort to recall Schwarzenegger. The union criticized Schwarzenegger for what it called "catastrophic leadership failings and inept management" since he took office.

One of the motivations for recalling Davis was his deal giving prison guards a 37 percent pay raise after he had accepted $2.6 million in campaign donations from the union.

Schwarzenegger has not taken money from the prison guards and has called its recall drive a political ploy designed to pressure him to give into the union's demands during contract negotiations. The guards union has been without a contract for two years.

After his address, Wilson told reporters that there will always be disagreements with a governor, but that a recall should be reserved for "serious dereliction of duty."

"It's something that you do on a really extreme provocation," he said.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 11:16 am
@CalamityJane,
cj wrote :

Quote:
I agree! Government spending needs to be curbed, and we've got way too many
government workers wasting our tax dollars.

so by how much would you like to see the number of unemployed increase ?
... and eventually they'll be on the welfare rolls ...

imo government jobs can be very important ... if the people are employed for the right purpose ... as usual , i think the rot starts at the top , both in government and in private industry , but it's the little guy/gal who lands on his/her behind !
hbg
0 Replies