90-year-old homeowner facing foreclosure eviction shoots self

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 09:37 am
Woman, 90, Apparently Shoots Self During Foreclosure Eviction

Quote:
AKRON, Ohio -- A 90-year-old homeowner who was about to be foreclosed on shot herself when Summit County sheriff's deputies attempted to serve her with a foreclosure eviction, according to Summit County Sheriff's Department officials.

Officials said when the deputies knocked on the front door of the home located in the 1100 block of Lacroix Avenue they did not get an answer. They heard a banging noise coming from the second floor of the home.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,084 • Replies: 21
No top replies

chai2

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:07 am
@Robert Gentel,
Of course I don't know all the details, but it seems there should be some kind of exemption for people past a certain age. Perhaps cutting the mortage payment in half each month, but figuring the acrued interest so the principle doesn't go bottom side up.

I'm guess this woman was on a fixed income, not working, and doing the best she could.

While Wall Street fat cats get bailed out, this woman could not catch a break.

Who knows how long she lived in that home, and now she's expected to give up her shelter and....what? Go in a nursing home? Live on the street?

Ah well, now the banks have another house to sell in foreclosure.

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:33 am
@chai2,
Quote:
While Wall Street fat cats get bailed out
I'm really curious about just who are the Wall Street fat cats, are they the ones who buy and sell stocks at the NYSE? Or they the CEO's of multi-national corps (who are NOT Wall Street fat cats)
chai2

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 12:37 pm
@dyslexia,
Wall street fat cats are anyone who gets off with a hand slap for screwing 90 year old women out of their houses.

WSFC are not restricted to WS, but roam at will across the land.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 12:41 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Wall street fat cats are anyone who gets off with a hand slap for screwing 90 year old women out of their houses.

WSFC are not restricted to WS, but roam at will across the land.
so people who buy and sell shares of stock on the NYSE moon-light screwing oldf women out of their houses? Interesting but silly.
chai2

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 12:43 pm
@dyslexia,
sigh
dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 12:55 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

sigh
yeah sigh, really. Lets say that XYZ corp processes some contaminated pork sausage and a customer eats some and dies, would you blame the Chicago Board of Trade that has investors bidding on hog futures? Personally I would blame XYZ corp.
chai2

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 01:05 pm
@dyslexia,
I signed because I made one comment about Fat Cats, which, perhaps I didn't explain very well, aren't necessary restricted to Wall Street, but have always been around to kick the slats out from under people who are struggling.....I amend that to calling them Planet Earth Fat Cats (PEFC).

The majority of my post dealt with my feelings on respecting and assisting our elderly, the dispensers fair amounts of wisdom, instead of making them feel their only option is to kill themselves because they would have no where to go if they got thrown out of their homes.

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 01:09 pm
@chai2,
actually what you did say was Wall Street Fat cats. and that's what I objected to; Wall Street (NYSE) has no over-sight/jurisdiction over the operations/ethics of the corps such as Enron etc.
chai2

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 01:14 pm
@dyslexia,
and I amended it to PEFC!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 02:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think I understand her.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:20 pm
I wish they could have done this a little earlier, but this still makes me happy:

Mortgage forgiven for woman, 90, who shot herself

Quote:
Mortgage finance company Fannie Mae said it is forgiving the mortgage debt of a 90-year-old woman who shot herself in the chest as sheriff's deputies attempted to evict her.

Fannie Mae announced later Friday that it would dismiss its foreclosure action, forgive Polk's mortgage and allow her to return to the Akron home where she's lived since 1970.

"Just given the circumstances, we think it's appropriate," Fannie Mae spokesman Brian Faith said, citing Kucinich's statement and news reports. "It certainly made our radar screen."

Polk remained in Akron General Medical Center and was expected to recover from chest wounds suffered last week.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 08:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yeh, I saw that and meant to come back and post it.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 04:43 pm
The end of the story is as sad as the beginning. Had they waited 6 months they could have had the house.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/19086148/detail.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 04:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
djjd62

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 04:51 pm
@msolga,
Confused
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 04:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Fannie Mae announced later Friday that it would dismiss its foreclosure action, forgive Polk's mortgage and allow her to return to the Akron home where she's lived since 1970.

She's been paying off her home since 1970? Makes me wonder what the cost of the (modest, I'd assume) home was in the first place & what sort of interest she was being charged on her mortgage for all these years.

What a terrible situation for an elderly person to find themselves in. Tragic.
msolga

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 05:01 pm
@msolga,
(I hope the above post clears up your Confused djjd. Not quite sure what happened in my non-post. Confused)

But please continue now ....
djjd62

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 05:03 pm
@msolga,
already back on track
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 05:08 pm
Ahhhh.... just have to mention the ad tagged to this thread:

"FIND THE FORECLOSURES! Save 30% to 60% on your next home."

Gave me a chill.
0 Replies