Antisemitism in Blogs

gollum

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 04:42 pm
Is there anyway to restrict the writing of blatently antisemitic blogs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 293 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 07:42 pm
@gollum,
Not as long as the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is still in effect. There are libel laws, of course, but short of proving malicious intent, you cannot restrict the freedom of speech on the 'net or anywhere else.
JTT

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 07:55 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I wonder. There are countries that place restrictions on hate speech. Someone might one day find themselves on the docket if they happen to visit such a country.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:00 pm
@gollum,
Restricting blogs... even blatantly antisemitic blogs, is a very bad idea.

Anyone has the right to express any belief, no matter who thinks it is offensive. It this right is not protected, than some day people may decide to silence you.

The way to fight antisemitism is to bring it out in the open, and then answer it with your right to free speech.

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:01 pm
@JTT,
That's true. In Germany you can get into serious legal trouble just for denying the Holocaust. But local laws are extremely hard to enforce on the Internet, unless your country is a dictatorship which monitors everything its citizens view and publish in cyberspace. China apparenly does that. But I assume we're talking here about blogs that can be viewed openly in, say, the USA, UK, Canada, Australia and every other country which has free speech.
JTT

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:03 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I believe that Canada and the UK have laws against hate speech, MA, and maybe Oz too.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:13 pm
@JTT,
US has anti-hate laws also, JTT, but they're fiendishly hard to enforce. For example -- sticking with the subject of antisemitism here -- you can (theoretically) get into trouble for advocating genocide against Jews, but not for simply saying that you think the Holocaust was a positive step. That's merely expressing an opinion, loathsome as it may be. I believe the Canadian and UK laws are similar.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:40 pm
Only rigorously correct spelling will ever eliminate the scourge that is virtual antisemitism.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Antisemitism in Blogs
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/21/2024 at 09:34:18