What album represents the sound of thought?

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:16 pm
There is always a point in a famous musician's career when a framework for the future is captured on a recording. These recordings are not always the 'breakthrough' albums, or the ones most critically acclaimed. They are just the ones where you can almost hear the gears in the brain turning, just preparing for a brilliant breakthrough. Here are a few of my nominees, and of course, please add more, with explanations:

Brian Eno, Another Green World: This one totally sounds like a mind at work to me, with everything in miniature, genres constantly changing, mixing vocals and instrumental, with a glimmer of the "ambient" to come later....

Jimi Hendrix, Axis: Bold as Love: Pre-suppossed Electric Ladyland. Need I say more?

Pink Floyd, Meddle: The root of all the best stuff they did later.

Feel free to be as opinionated as you wanna be! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,251 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:23 pm
Today marks the sad anniversary, Hendrix died 33 yrs ago, sept 18.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:29 pm
Well, stories conflict, but it was definitely between the 16th and the 18th. 33...reminds me of this story from The Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/3936/opinion1.html

I have Electric Ladyland on right now...one of my all-time favorite albums.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:30 pm
I remember that day well.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:32 pm
Right now I'm thinking about a pair of albums... collaberations with Rye Kooder and...

Aww... scheis! I left 'em both at work, so I'll have to wing it.

Last year's release Mambo Sinuendo. Manuel Galban and RK. Apparently after this and Buena Vista Social Club, if Rye goes back to Cuba the US State Department won't let him back in.

And Talking Timbuktu, Ali F T something or other. I'll check back with you on this...

I heard an interview with Rye Kooder on the release of Mambo Sinuendo... basically Galban is playing the stuff he likes to play, and Rye is noodeling all over the place.

Maybe this kind of zen mind isn't what you are looking for. There is a lot of thoughtlessness in playing what's directly in the mind.

Okay. Atmosphere then... the mind at work in a more, ummm shall we say produced vein.

Eno and David Byrne, My Life In the Bush of Ghosts.

A collaberation between a modern French electro/club mix producer and a woman singing in the traditional Bamako style. The artists? Yeah, all my best music is at work (all the better to drown out top 40 radio) but the album is called Electro Bamako.

Miles Davis, Kind of Blue

John Scofield, Bump

Paul Simon, The Rythm of the Saints

Beethovan's third symphonie, The Eroica

Okay... not pre-breakthrough, but full of good cerebellum byproducts.

More later.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:42 pm
Actually SealPoet, I think we are on the same wavelength...that album with Ry Cooder was with Ali Farka Toure (I believe)...noodling on Ry's part or not, that album showed real potential, but never went beyond that moment. My Life In the Bush of Ghosts is one of my all time favorite albums....I even read the book. As for Miles, Kind of Blue was on my list too. Also, although I love both albums, for the purpose of this thread, I would nominate In a Silent Way over Bitches Brew, as 'Silent Way' was the seed...on the same level, I would put the Beatles Revolver ahead of Sgt. Pepper's. Looking forward to more!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:45 pm
Yes on Revolver!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:50 pm
Brain music huh....I'm terrible with album/cd names so bear with me.

Peter Gabriel - Passion (soundtrack)
Ennio Morricone - The Mission (soundtrack)
I love most of the stuff by these talented folks - Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Taj Mahal, John Prine, Sarah McLaughlin, 'Keb 'Mo, Harry Manx, Martin Sexton, Davy Spillane and Dougie McLean. I could go on but if I'm in the mood to think or dream well, these would be some my choices.

I love Ry Cooder - I just heard the American government fined him $50,000 for being in Cuba and producing the grammy winning Buona Vista Club recordings. Sad concidering the biggest money made off these venture was by the american record industry.
Ceili
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:20 pm
As a musician who plays pedal steel and dobro, your choice of Ry Cooder brings tears to my eyes. I took up dobro listening to rye cooders bottleneck, until I discovered that the instrument can transcend the pixels of our existence. It flows like barin waves into your skull. My favorite is an album CD (the only one of such, of which I own 2 copies)
AMEETING AT THE RIVER with Ry Cooder and Vishwa Bhatt , bottleneck and sitar -so fuckin cool it must be heard both at home and in a really good auto sound asystem.

I heard on PBS the other day, and then so typically of me, promptly forgot the name of a new album by a lady lap steel player. It was a celebration of pedal steel, lap steel, dobro, and slide guitar . Its got some really old stuff, even Santo and Johnie (I was about 8 years old when they came out with a slide and pedal steel piece, I believe the piece was called dreamwalker. It was probably the first "New Age" sound waaay before George Winston .

My Beethoven choice for brainwave music would be the PAstorale, (no 6), or Carmina Burana. Rhapsody in Blue can make me lose it and forget to drive in the right lane.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 08:23 am
Wow, so many good entries here. I am a big Ry Cooder fan too, I don't play pedal steel or dobro, but I can do a mean slide guitar. Glass is my choice for a slide. A Meeting At the River is an album I have been meaning to pick up....I should. On the non-modern side, Abbess Hildegaard von Bingen's medieval pre-opera on the struggle between Heaven and Hell to posess Virtue 'Ordo Virtutum' is breathtaking....however, the seeds of this fantastic work were in all her earlier compositions as well.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:59 pm
Web ate my entry this morning, but...

Okay, so I was tired and couldn't spell last night...

Beethovan 6th... can't do the Pastoral without disneyfication...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

John Medeski (MMW), The North Mississippi Allstars, Robert Randolph (Lap Steel guitar in the gospel tradition of House of God) - The Word

Talking Heads - Fear of Music (never said they had to be Happy thoughts)

Oliver Mtukudzi - Tuku Music

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
0 Replies