Does anyone here have expertise in working with remote indigenous Australian communities?

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:31 am
Looks like I will be going way way out back and doing some work in one such, very troubled, community.

I've had sundry hours of input re working with Aboriginal people, most of which was totally useless, and some experience with urban communities....but this?

It's daunting because I am being sent there to work with issues of sexuality and abuse, and it's that flying in (and driving and driving and driving!!!) for a few days and flying out thing, although I may be doing that several times...with interpreters.

I'll be picking the brains of the mental health people already visiting regularly, of course..., and accessing a cultural consultant, if I am lucky (they tend to be damned hard to pin down!)...but I am concerned re such issues as gender in discussing such things with Aboriginal boys and their dads/uncles.... I gather I'm ok with women and girls.

I am suggesting to the powers that be that I need to be teaming up with a male worker, but there are none in my particular field in my state.

Anyone with experience or useful resources would be a joy to me!

I cannot, of course, identify the community or the exact issues any further, but hopefully anyone with knowwledge will get the gist.

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 03:02 am
@dlowan,
Sorry, Deb. My only experience has been urban, too. Not much help to you.
msolga

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 03:04 am
@dlowan,
Sounds like a very challenging brief. Probably not a good idea to share any details of the job here, yes?

When does this happen?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:01 am
@msolga,
Urban's good!!

Give me urban!

No, I can't share details.

When? Next few weeks.....it's not a new job or anything...just a bit of outreach.
dadpad

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:08 am
@dlowan,
I'd wish you luck but you have the skill, so no need to.
dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 05:53 am
@dadpad,
yes there is
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 09:40 am
@dlowan,
Any chance of speaking with, if not teaming up with, a male expert in your field from another state?
dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Lol!! No.

Don't mean to be offensive in laughing.....but all services here run on the smell of an oily rag.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:29 pm
@dlowan,
Do you have access to folks who work with remote indigenous groups in other countries?
dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Not really....and, while a lot of issues are doubtless similar, I think the sexual stuff is very different.

I'll certainly be talking to the people already working with this group (amongst others).

You know, there really needs to be a network...there's lots of people doing good work, but Australia's so big, and they're so over-worked, they don't get stuff out there a lot.

margo

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 09:19 pm
@dlowan,
absolutely no experience - but fingers crossed for you
Borat Sister

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:22 pm
@margo,
Actually, serendipitously, I saw an Indigenous carer today with a little fella.

She is highly "literate" in traditional ways and non-traditional ways.

I was able, because it was utterly relevant to the little bloke I was seeing, to ask her some of the things I needed to know.

A truly wonderful woman....radiated something special.
roger

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:33 pm
@Borat Sister,
Good. I hope it was helpful - to both of you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 03:41 am
@dlowan,
It wasn't a long stint, Deb. I was filling in for another teacher for a couple of months. I found it very challenging & chose (wisely I think) to tread very carefully .... picking up the dos & don'ts pretty much by observation & talking, taking, talking constantly to other teachers about things that I didn't understand. The students' levels were primary right through to late secondary. It was difficult, at first, being accepted as an "outsider", though I noticed that the students had very comfortable, trusting relationships with teachers (both aboriginal & "white") they'd known & worked with for quite a while. Trust is VERY important (or was in this particular environment, anyway). I found myself teaching & relating to these students in very different ways to what I'd been used to. Heaps of individual attention. In fact, most of my teaching was geared to individuals, as the "whole group" approach didn't work at all well. Mind you, this might have been because I was new to the school.
dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 05:08 am
@msolga,
Yes...interesting.

I'll not have time for all that watching... : (
msolga

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 05:18 am
@dlowan,
That's a shame. Next best thing, I guess, is to talk to someone (whose perceptions & advice you respect) who has actually worked in the same or similar field. And who doesn't have a particular political axe to grind. One of the first things I was advised, when I went to work at that school, was to stay out of the politics. (!) Very complicated!
margo

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 08:10 pm
@dlowan,
Deb - how soon is this happening?
dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 09:02 pm
@msolga,
Lordy...the politics are well in place and at a fever pitch as we speak!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 09:02 pm
@margo,
Quite soon, I think...
LionTamerX

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 09:09 pm
@dlowan,
Trust your heart Deb. You already know what to do.

1. Forums
  2. » Does anyone here have expertise in working with remote indigenous Australian communities?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 10:24:28