"The Crimson Petal and the White" - & other fat Victorians..

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 08:33 am
My goodness, I DID love my fat "Victorian"!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 09:30 am
Recommended, eh?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 09:39 am
Yes - though not, I think, everyone's cup of tea!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 10:00 am
Can you tell from what I've said here ("A Suitable Boy" et al) whether it's likely to be mine? What books would you liken it to? (I.e., "if you liked ____, you'd probably like TCPATW.")

I have entered a new phase of motherhood, where my child is allowing me to read! I am quite giddy. I read the whole of "The Da Vinci Code" in a day or so, while sozlet assembled legos, built trains out of chairs, and generally (gasp) entertained herself for significant chunks of time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 10:05 am
MMMM - er...trying to liken it to summat. It is like the Victorian novel with the realities in - like the sexual realities - and the bleakest of economic realities - Dickens has the latter, but they are romanticised.

It is very black.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 10:07 am
That gives me a fairly good feel for it, thanks.

I have a towering stack that I have been just waiting to dig into (a dear friend who owns a bookstore gave me a passel of modern Indian novels when I went to visit him) but that's on my list, now.
0 Replies