If you're Irish come into the Parlour !!!

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:13 am
Eva in response to your request for my "life line", I'm sorry but I couldn't compete with yours. My family's origin seems to have started in the "Mourne Country" Co. Down. Family surname, Magennis, there are many forms of the spelling of the name, but ours is the most ancient.
There were in times past many "clans" in Ireland and of course there was the Magennis clan. There was a clan gathering a few years ago, I was there as was the "head" of the clan, who as far as I can remember lives in South Africa. Rolling Eyes
Our name is pronouncd McGuinness, howz zat. and according to a history
source the famous drink name originated from mine. Cool Arthur Guinness.
I have a photo of my Great Grandfather, Edward Magennis, he was a headmaster in a small rural school. The photo is believed to be over one hundred years old, the schoolchildren were wearing wooden clogs on their feet. When the photo uplift facility starts I will post it. Exclamation
Feel free if there are any gaps you want filled, I will do my best to answer.
Regards.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,243 • Replies: 97
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:53 am
How cool, smokingunne! Is everyone swapping irish lineage notes? There's some confusion about the anscestery of my father's side of the family. My dad's dad's family split ties from his greater family during the prohibition. We lost much of the family history by, by the time I expressed interest in learning, there was not much to learn ("we're americans"). Then a guy who shares my last name sent an email to my dad and it turns out he documented a hugh family history. My dad has that booklet, but I haven't peeped at it for some time. Because it's all vague links, we're not even sure we're part of that history. So, there's a little irish in me, but I don't know how much.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:12 am
I am honorary Irish....honeymooned there, sing the songs like dere's no tamarra, and enjoy much good stout, although in West Cork, the Murphy's beats the Guinness, no offence.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:14 am
Murphy's beats the snot outta Guiness wherever you drink it . . . it's just harder to find outside County Cork.

My mother's maiden name was Antrim, her mother's maiden name was Donovan (County Cork again), her mother's maiden name was Monroe . . . etc. I can do the same on my father's side.
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 09:06 am
Smile Thanks all for replies. We were getting our knuckles rapped for continuing on with the Welcomes. I or anyone didn't intend to hijack the thread, it was just a natural progression. Member Eva ask me about my ancestory so we had to "move out". Crying or Very sad

littlek yes, if you have something to say, no place like here. A little bit of
Irish is all that is required. :wink: All my ancestory is here so I don't have as good a tale to tell as you folks. Exclamation

cavfancier, that's what we need, some class, your post started of brilliantly but you muddied it with that word Murphys.
It isn't even in the reckoning, :wink: that's why it's only available in small pockets of places, seriously though it is more widely available than previously, it is a good second to the real thing. Exclamation
(Whisper)did you not get a chance to taste the illicit brew "poteen" Idea

Satanta let's get real here, Murphy's Laughing no way. There ia also a Co.Antrim !!! If you want to give their lineage go ahead, I'm sure other members might be interested as well. :wink:
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 09:13 am
Just wanted to put a word in for my mom's peeps from Galway (Connors) and dad's from Kerry(?) (Connolly).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 09:30 am
The first rule about poteen, you don't talk about poteen, at least not the real creatur. Also, Murphy's does taste best in Cork. The cans they import here are okay, but the draft is up and down. The wee wifey prefers the Jamieson's to the Bushmill's, we both like Redbreast, Tyrconnell, Tullamore Dew is okay, and anything vintage, of course.
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 09:36 am
Smile They used to say poteen was made inside the Maze prision when it was at it's height. True or untrue, I don't know. :wink:
That prision is no longer. Rolling Eyes

Some times the supermarket has Murphy's on offer and I would buy it.
It is very undependable, too often a flat one.
Have to find some way to get clear of it. Evil or Very Mad

With Guinness it never, repeat never :wink: happens.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 09:48 am
Hiya smoking...

Me mam's family comes from the mourne mountains as well. O'Reilly's and Cunninghams. It's a small world really.

On the subject of beer, Guiness has always been too much, I prefer caffery's or harp.

Ta,
Ceili
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:34 am
Laughing Ceili, you were suspect with a name like that. :wink:

That's what the country people done at night, ceili. They would meet in the different houses and play their music, dance and whatever else entertained themselves. Very little or maybe none of that done now. Crying or Very sad

O'Reillys and Cunninghams. My wifes sister is married to a Cunningham
but I don't think they are Mourne Country people. Exclamation

There is an O'Reillys pub on the edge of the Mournes in a little village called Dromara and as far as I know they play Irish music. :wink:

We would never ever see a lady drink Guinness here perhaps more so in the South.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:02 am
I'm married to an Irishman (Donegal) heaven help me ....

My great great grandfather was Irish but I don't know where from.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:13 am
Uh-oh, I started an Irish thread too!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12272&highlight=

Sorry, smokingunne, I only just found this one.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:14 am
I can trace the family back over 300 years, on the same bit of land in the hills. Records were destroyed before that so no one knows.
I've been to a few ceili's, loved em, that's why I chose the name. The net's a bit like a ceili, come in, join friends for a good time and great memories.
Ta
Ceili
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:33 am
Vivien wrote:
I'm married to an Irishman (Donegal) heaven help me ....

My great great grandfather was Irish but I don't know where from.

Vivien, you are a lucky person, breakfast in bed and all that, we are all the same. :wink:
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:35 am
mac11 wrote:
Uh-oh, I started an Irish thread too!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12272&highlight=

Sorry, smokingunne, I only just found this one.

OK mac, no excuse now,we won't be getting in other peoples way. :wink:
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:40 am
Smile Ceili, was it a ceili dance in a hall you were at.
That is a dance when all the music is Irish dance music.
Opposed to a ceili in a house. Question
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:45 am
Gosh - then I gotta give out my irish name?
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:47 am
Sugar wrote:
Just wanted to put a word in for my mom's peeps from Galway (Connors) and dad's from Kerry(?) (Connolly).

Lets have it for the Connors and Connolly's. :wink:

My favourite counties in Ireland, Galway and Kerry. It's true, very scenic.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:56 am
Clones would be in the area where's my peoples are from.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 12:06 pm
Don't tell Rae - we might be related.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » If you're Irish come into the Parlour !!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:12:45