What are the best stocks to buy now that the market is tumbling?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 08:30 pm
@JustBrooke,
re apple, people will not by an Ipod when knockoffs run less than half the price, same with iphone and an apple computer. People will no long pay for premium for brands, only performance of the product matters, so apple is no longer worth what they need to get to support their current share price.

take a pass on apple
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 08:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
FYI, the nikkei is currently down over 10% on the day. CI is full of ****, this baby is going down the shitter, if you have not sold by now it is too late.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 08:56 pm
@JustBrooke,
Yeah, I need to calm down about the Apple stock, I know. I'm just watching and drooling at it for the time being. That BLL looks real nice. I may have to keep my eye on that one too.
JustBrooke

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:29 pm
@kickycan,
Yo Kicky! Were you a good lil boy and took a good long look at that BLL stock?

That's a local stock for me. I trade it every chance I get. A good friend of mine works there. They have a benefits meeting every year. This year he got an 80 some cent raise. They increased the pension payout. Added a couple more paid personal days and sweetened their health insurance.

Soooo ...... I wanted in before todays 3rd quarter earnings came out. Had my order in for 27 and changed it. I figured they must not be doing too awful bad. I split my order and put half in at 28 and half at 27.50 if it got there. Both orders got activated on Tuesday. So I'm in pretty heavy for the near term.

Todays earnings report showed their earnings skyrocked. Up 67% Shocked Not bad for todays economy. I'll take about 18,000 - 20,000 out of the trade when my target point gets hit. My target is still well under the 52 month high. Not bad for chump change
Hope you got in?

Keep drinkin that beer boys! Wink
NickFun

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:02 pm
@JustBrooke,
Brook you are remarkably intelligent. Are you sure you're a blond? Wink
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 11:48 pm
@JustBrooke,
Wow, that sounds like a sweet deal you've got going for you, Brooke. I actually haven't been keeping up with BLL. I'm going to wait a little while to jump into the stock market again. I guess I'm kind of a chicken right now.
bigbusinesshawk

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 07:11 pm
@kickycan,
I believe although I can't verify that a lot of wealthy people are watching very carefully the stocks of companies that have outsourced.And the reason is that the companies that outsource have usually researched quite thoroughly as to the wage amounts which are usually quite low depending on what country you are talking about.Of course they have to do this without any conscience what-so-ever because this type of stock purchasing is undermining the very economy here in the United States that they formerly used in order to get wealthy in the first place.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 12:34 pm
I wrote this on September 23, 2008:
Quote:
@dadpad,
dadpad, I never thought I'd ever say this in my lifetime, but buy gold. Sell when you've gained fifty or 100 percent or more; don't hang onto medal no matter how "precious." But do it after the congress approves the bailouts; the surest way to increase inflation like we've never seen it in our lifetime.

Gold recently hit $1,300.

I wrote this on September 18, 2008:
Quote:
@kickycan,
Sit on your money for now; it's not a good time to buy anything. Right now, cash is king.

I expect the DOW to hit close to 9,000 before we see any basement buying, and that may take until late next year when the sub-prime mortgage lenders have cleaned out their books - but 9,000 is the magic number for me. I'm holding off until then, because I sold some funds when it was up at about 14,000 knowing we were headed for this bear.

I repurchased some funds when the market hit 8,500, and re-balanced my portfolio to 60/40, bonds/equities.

My intermediate bond fund is returning over 12% this year with the 5 year average at 7.3%.

My timing is usually pretty good.

When I think our economy is showing improvement, I will re-balance my portfolio into more equity funds, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 09:21 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Wow, that sounds like a sweet deal you've got going for you, Brooke. I actually haven't been keeping up with BLL. I'm going to wait a little while to jump into the stock market again. I guess I'm kind of a chicken right now.

Too bad you didn't bite, Kickster. BLL went as high as 62.30 today. I bet that 27 range I tried to talk you into sounds pretty good to ya about now. Razz

Nuffin' like a little nose rubin'!
Drunk
0 Replies

johnjordan576

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:01 pm
@kickycan,
i think investment in technology stock is good one ,microsoft and apple is good one.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:09 pm
@johnjordan576,
For those folks worried about what happened to the markets today, don't lose any sleep over it. For YTD, the market is still performing better than past years when you look at averages. The other important information available in the US market is that home prices are showing stability and increases, consumers are paying off their debts, saving more, and car sales are doing just fine. These are indications that our economy is slowly recovering from the Great Recession, and the long-term outlook is good. Don't give up the ship; it's the only life saver we have in this world economy.

Keep hope alive, and watch the macro-economics of how the US performs internally. Many large computer companies are buying and leasing more space in our area (Silicon Valley); they must know something about the potential growth of the world economies to be investing so much in real estate.

It's okay to rebalance your portfolio if that makes you feel better.

0 Replies

nelsonhimes

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 12:47 am
@kickycan,
Lottery ticket is one of the best options
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 01:02 am
@nelsonhimes,
Here's the latest on my opinion about our economy and the stock market.

The economy continues to show improvement in most sectors that makes a difference on our stability and growth. The market is doing better than expected, because foreigners are investing in US capital markets. Also, Asia and Europe is also beginning to stabilize - especially with the UK showing the best improvement.

My funds are up by 12% this year with the Nasdaq up by 15.7%.

The fiscal cliff will be good for our economy; it will increase tax revenue during the first quarter that will allow our government to extend unemployment benefits. The feds are going to loosen cash to allow more people to buy homes and big ticket items at low interest rates - which will help our economy.

With most of the wealth being held by the top 10% of Americans, the feds, and many companies, the fear of inflation is minimized.

With the baby-boomers beginning to retire, they will be spending more on leisure/vacations, food and drink.

The glass is more than half full at this period of time - IMHO.
0 Replies