What stocks do you invest in?

Tue 2 Feb, 2016 11:05 am
Since the Robinhood app offers free trades I've been playing around and speculating on things I otherwise wouldn't (want to buy a single $2 stock and sell it in the same day? Why not?*) and am being new to this kind of investing I'm wondering what stocks other a2k members invest in.

* I suppose, like the last time I was trading at volume, the pain in the ass at tax time for micro bets will outweigh all the fun. But it's part of the cost to learn right now for me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 4,782 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Thu 4 Feb, 2016 08:25 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Anyone wanna share? I'm pretty new at this and am curious what others are doing.
cicerone imposter

Sat 3 Dec, 2016 11:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Trading stocks constantly is a losing proposition. That's because the commissions and fees you pay increases your handicap to earn any money.

At the beginning of my investing for retirement, I made a few mistakes along the way. What I've learned over the years is to select a few index funds provided by either Fidelity or Vanguard; they're both low fee institutions.

I've been withdrawing a minimum of $24k/year (auto withdrawal at $2k/month) from our funds for the past ten years, and our balance is higher than my initial investment.

Rule #1: Don't play the regular trade game. Only greedy people do that, and the majority lose.

Rule #2: Manage your own money. Only have the best interest to invest well for yourself. Others work for commissions and fees.
Rule #3: Diversify.
Rule #4: I don't follow the recommendations of investment pundits who tell us to increase our bond holdings as we get older to "protect" our investment. Rather, keep track of the macro-economics of our country and our trading partners. As long as our economy continues to grow at about 2%/year, we're in good company. I'm now 81 years old.
Rule #5: Many investment guru's have been warning us all year about the stock market losing 50% this year. That's BS of the worst kind, because fear works for many people. Don't listen to them. Do your own reading of finance and our economy.

cicerone imposter

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 11:17 am
@cicerone imposter,
I would like to hear from the person who gave me a thumb's down to know why my advise is wrong. If there's a more successful way to invest, I want to learn too!
0 Replies

JohnSmithKalk

Thu 18 Jul, 2019 04:57 am
@Robert Gentel,
There are many sectors that are trending right now such as Lithium stocks, penny stocks, small-cap healthcare stocks, cannabis stocks, etc so in 2019 these are the best sectors to invest in.
cicerone imposter

Thu 18 Jul, 2019 08:43 am
@JohnSmithKalk,
I think there are plenty of stocks to choose from that have done over the long run. However, I'm the lazy type who doesn't want to constantly manage my investments, so I selected Vanguard Index Funds many decades ago. It's done very well, and I'm happy with the results. It was a choice between Vanguard and Fidelity; I picked Vanguard.
0 Replies